Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
100% cotton shrinking...pre cuts... >

100% cotton shrinking...pre cuts...

100% cotton shrinking...pre cuts...

Old 11-23-2012, 12:44 PM

I always prewash all of my fabrics...all of the reasons that you have listed and the horror stories that I have heard is why I refuse to buy any precuts! I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
It seems to me on the never ending debate about pre-washing, the best thing to do is the same thing to all the fabric in the quilt. If you wash, I'd say wash it all. If you don't wash the precuts, maybe you shouldn't wash the yardage for that quilt.
Exactly! If you wash precuts they unravel, shrink, and generally make a miserable mess. Patterns created for precuts count on your having exactly 10 or 5 or 2.5 inches to work with. Make the whole quilt, quilt and bind it, THEN wash. The whole thing shrinks together, plus I believe that a good quilt job lessens the shrinking a bit. If you have strong colors that might bleed, use cold water, Retayne or other products to lessen the problem. If you really feel the need to wash your precuts, you will be better off just washing your fabric yardage then cutting the 2.5 or 5" you want.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by alikat110 View Post
I say "yes". JoAnn's has it for $199.00 this weekend, with 30% off accessories!!!!
Thanks for mentioning this! I went there as soon as I read your post and bought several Accuquilt dies - including a couple HSTs and the heart die that I've been wanting. I told DH that he can call them earlly Christmas gifts!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:46 PM

I am very cautious with batik jelly rolls after experiencing some bleeding in a project. A friend told me that batiks sold now are better than they used to be and pre-washing is not necessary but the jelly roll that I used was a current one and made by a well known manufacturer. I wish I would have soaked it before using.

Has anyone else found any bleeding with a batik jelly roll?