Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 100% polyester fabric samples (and others) - what to do with???? >
  • 100% polyester fabric samples (and others) - what to do with????

• 100% polyester fabric samples (and others) - what to do with????

Old 04-21-2013, 07:50 PM

Default 100% polyester fabric samples (and others) - what to do with????

i recvd a ton of fabric sample books - there are a lot of 100% polyester fabrics and most say dry clean only - as do a lot of them...can i make a quilt from them, or should i just recycle and give to someone else for other crafts

most of the samples i would be able to cut 2-4 inch blocks from

keeping in mind i am a beginner quilter too - all replies welcome

ps - i also have a bunch of poly cotton blends which i know i can use, and 100% cotton, some other blends of things i had never heard of like viscose and others i had like nylon, rayon, etc...i have them in a box by themselves not sure what to do with those either
    Attached Thumbnails photo-29-.jpg   photo-30-.jpg   photo-31-.jpg  
    Old 04-21-2013, 07:58 PM

The fabric looks good. If you can cut 4" squares or large rectangles you can make decorator patchwork pillows. Make them big for use on the floor. OR you can make them into pillowcase covers and use regular pillows and still use them on the floor. I'm sure the gals/guys will throw good ideas at you.
    Old 04-22-2013, 02:55 AM
    Z

Even though the directions say dry clean, try washing some of them. I think that a lot of them would probably be ok to wash. You don't have a lot to lose.
    Old 04-22-2013, 03:20 AM

If it were me, I'd probably keep only the 100% cotton and give away all the rest. I could be talked into using a big piece of poly cotton blend for a quilt back, but not for piecing, and never for applique. I don't even buy clothes which need dry cleaned, so I wouldn't be interested in pillow covers which needed such treatment. But, as already pointed out, you have nothing to lose by washing some and seeing what happens. I would certainly recommend washing all pieces before putting any time and effort into piecing with them, only to see them ruined later.
    Old 04-22-2013, 03:30 AM

The problem is when you try blending polyster or polyster/cotton blends is that they don't shrink the same as cottons. It doesn't really create a good balance for a quilt top. That being said, if you want to use them, I love the idea of the floor pillows. I have washed items that said dry clean. The biggest problem I had was that the fabric was textured & the edges raveled badly. Your samples look like they wouldn't ravel, but I would wash 1 piece & see if there is a problem with that. Also, measure the piece before you wash, so that you know what size you end up with after it comes out of the dryer. To me...this final step would be the determining factor as to whether I used them or not.
    Old 04-22-2013, 03:32 AM
    Banned

There are always charities that don't care if a quilt is made of poly fabric. After all we wear clothing made of poly fabric so if u make quilts for charity then use it. There are always those who say don't but don't listen to them poly is warm just like cotton
    Old 04-22-2013, 06:34 AM

There is nothing wrong with a quilt made from polyester or poly blend fabric, or dry clean only fabric. Washing the fabric once with very warm, or hot, water and drying in the automatic dryer on medium will pretty much stabilize it. I made a super king size quilt out of the soft polyester knit from the 1970's and used it as a bedspread for over 25 years. Washed it in my home washer and dryed it in the dryer many times. I have also discovered that many of the home decor fabrics that say dry clean only can be washed OK. I make clothes for a handicapped person (can't buy clothes to fit her) and use decor fabric often. I wash all fabric first to get the shrinking over with before I make the slacks. They are washed and dried frequently. In ten years we only one pair has worn out and it was clothing fabric.
    If you don't like polyester, don't use it. The complaining is getting old.
    Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 AM

My friend and I were given 15 large boxes of samples like this. I soaked a few every night to get the paper off of the fabric and finally just cut it off. What a pain in the BTT, long story short I make a quilt out of the pieces and it was great. My friend is still using some of her fabric in crazy quilts.
    Old 04-22-2013, 09:47 AM

All the others - nylon, rayon, etc. stay away from for quilts. They are usually clothing fabrics. And really those should be drycleaned. Ask me about ruined dresses made of rayon or rayon blends.

Have fun using your poly and blends and don't worry about what someone might say.

I buy home dec fabric to cover my furniture from animals. It washes fine but does shrink.
    Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 AM

If not used in quilts you make mats for the animal shelters.