Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 100+ tissue covers later...............

Quote Originally Posted by vickig626 View Post
    I sell these at a local small shop and sell them for $3. I include a package of tissue inside it as well.....very convenient for the purchaser. I buy the 10-12 pack of tissues at Walmart or Target for minimal cost so well worth the llittle extra effort. Never sold them at craft shows though....did other items.
    Again, seems reasonable with the tissues included. I need to buy the tissues, too, but I keep forgetting to add them to my shopping list.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
    I find this so interesting, because I have never in all my life ever bought those little packs of tissues. I just grab a stack and stick them in the corner of my purse, or in my pocket. So I question who actually buys them? I have thought of making some too, but I don't know anyone around here that would even use one.

Everyone I know uses the tissues------------except me! I'm going to have to change and start using them now that I have all the neat covers.
    U N T I E

I just came from a quilt show that had them for sale @ $3.00 each

I've sold them for $2 at the one craft show I do every year. Time to make some more, this year's show is coming up in a few weeks. Packs of tissues can be found for around $2 for 10 packs, scrap fabric, a few minutes, you're all set.

Blog Entries
    Thank you, now I know what I will make for the kids teachers this year for Christmas. Our budget is stretched and this would be a useful gift.

I may make some in the school colours for the school store to sell.

A larger version could be used to cover bum wipe packages.

A smaller one with the opening near the top could be used for business cards.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
    Thank you, now I know what I will make for the kids teachers this year for Christmas. Our budget is stretched and this would be a useful gift.

I may make some in the school colours for the school store to sell.

A larger version could be used to cover bum wipe packages.

A smaller one with the opening near the top could be used for business cards.
    I made a few of Indy Colts fabric. I've not shown my DD yet--------she'll snatch every one.
    U N T I E

Well, I liked this tute so much, and the idea of it, that I went into my sewing room and whipped some out this afternoon, they look small, but I'll get some tissue packages tomorrow and make sure they fit nicely before I continue this fun little project. Thanks.
    with a passion for quilting and vintage machines..Singers: 99, 4 featherweights, Redeye 66, Lotus 66, Phoenix 27, 15-91, 301A
    Colleen S.

When I made a comment that $1.50 is way too low of a price for the tissue covers I thought that the price was low. Today at the Old Country Store in Intercourse, PA I saw them for $0.99. They were made just about the same but I am not sure if they had contrasting fabric. I was wrong! I admit.

After I read this I went to my scraps and cut out - maybe 30? - and finished 11. Thanks so much for the tip. I plan to make several bags for gifts and now they'll include the tissue holder. The rest I may try to sell. It took me a bit over an hour to complete 11 with another 11 made through the first sewing step (before you fold them to the center). This did not include cutting, but still less than 10 minutes each. If I sold them for 99 cents each I'd be making about $10 an hour. That's not enough for me. I'll put them in our workroom for $3 each - with tissue. If they don't sell I'll give them as gifts - great stocking stuffers!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    So many quilts, so little time.

Thank you for the link and also for price information. I think my granddaughter could make these and sell them herself.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

This is a great project for a beginning sewer. The tricky part is bringing the finished edges into the middle. I lay a small ruler on my ironing board and folder over 1 1/2". You could also fold and press and fold to the press line. Good luck. These are fun!

Oh - the other tricky part is remembering to change feet when you go to straight to zigzag stitches! Had that issue on the first one. After that I chain sewed them and it was much easier. Did have my "Purple Thang" to push the fabric under the foot at the center.

Quote Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
    After I read this I went to my scraps and cut out - maybe 30? - and finished 11. Thanks so much for the tip. I plan to make several bags for gifts and now they'll include the tissue holder. The rest I may try to sell. It took me a bit over an hour to complete 11 with another 11 made through the first sewing step (before you fold them to the center). This did not include cutting, but still less than 10 minutes each. If I sold them for 99 cents each I'd be making about $10 an hour. That's not enough for me. I'll put them in our workroom for $3 each - with tissue. If they don't sell I'll give them as gifts - great stocking stuffers!

Love the fabrics. Most of mine aren't eye catching---------but still decent.
    U N T I E

This is a great project for a beginning sewer. The tricky part is bringing the finished edges into the middle. I lay a small ruler on my ironing board and folder over 1 1/2". You could also fold and press and fold to the press line. Good luck. These are fun!

Oh - the other tricky part is remembering to change feet when you go to straight to zigzag stitches! Had that issue on the first one. After that I chain sewed them and it was much easier. Did have my "Purple Thang" to push the fabric under the foot at the center.

First few dozen I pinned and pinned. After a while, you don't even need that. Just fold, snip, flip
    U N T I E

Never thought about pinning them - just held on and sew, sew, sewed!

Blog Entries
    I have made these too and I just use tissues from my box. I have boxes all over the house. It doesn't take long to grab about 5-8 and fold each one, (we can all fold fabric...so tissues are easy) and then stack them up and put them in the tissue holder. I don't always have those little packets around but I always have big boxes of tissues. Just an idea for all of you. And I bet one large box would be less expensive than several little packets. Just sayin'! :-)
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

I decided to give this a try. I was shocked at how easy, as well as how cute it turned out. Thanks so much for sharing such a cute idea. I plan on making these for stocking stuffers, monogramming some, embroidering others. I'm always looking for cute and fast ideas.

I can't imagine that $3 is too much...and yours are very cute, too.

I'm envisioning tissue covers at every craft show in the world the next few months! lol
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
    I decided to give this a try. I was shocked at how easy, as well as how cute it turned out. Thanks so much for sharing such a cute idea. I plan on making these for stocking stuffers, monogramming some, embroidering others. I'm always looking for cute and fast ideas.
    These qualify for fast and cute--------------AND USEFUL! Some of our cute ideas aren't all that practical.
    U N T I E

Thanks so much for posting this project and thanks to the person who posted the link to the tutorial. I was getting bored with my quilt and this was such a nice break.
    Name:  Tissue Cover.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  27.2 KB
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I use the same pattern but modified it a little. I 'box' the corners so it doesn't look so flat. It's only about 1/2 to 3/4" but it adds a little style to it. I also overlap the middle slightly so they don't gap open.

I sold these at $3 or 2 for $5.00 because that little boxing of 4 corners does slow down the 'assembly line' a little but it makes it just a tad different from the other vendors that might be selling them. Our show was finally rained out so I didn't sell very many but we were totally shut down within 3 hours due to the torrential downpour... everyone left!

Just finished turning the last tissue cover-------119 of the little suckers.

And I'm in here (sewing room) looking for the scraps of the dozen neck ties I made for my son in law the teacher.

I need something for a benefit in November. I'm thinking about taking a dozen of the prettier ones and group them together for one item. I'm assuming right before Christmas, there's got to be a market of little Christmas gifts.
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I will have to try some of them. Today I made a dozen coasters, the ones where you use the charm squares and sew around all four sides and turn. I made a dozen while I was watching Steve Harvey. They are for DD for her basement bar, made with wine theme. Maybe they need matching tissue holders.

Never thought about pinning them - just held on and sew, sew, sewed!
    I spent a lot of time pinning, and got smart and realized this was not a life or death match up---------so I "finger pinned!"
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I made 16 of these in approx. 1-1/2 hours - and I used my serger and did them assembly line style. But I can't get a full package of kleenex in mine. Have to take about half out of a pkg. in order for them to fit. Did I do something wrong or are my kleenex too fluffy? I know what my sunday school class is getting for christmas.
    TwandasMom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast