Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1960's Hippie Quilts >

1960's Hippie Quilts

1960's Hippie Quilts

Old 07-15-2011, 11:25 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Originally Posted by Tex
In 1960, many women who lived the 1960's Hippie Lifestyle would go to fabric stores and purchase baskets that were full of leftover and pieces of fabric. These pieces of fabric were not always compatible with one another. However, these women who made quilts using these fabric pieces just seemed to pick up one after another without paying attention to design or color or hue, etc. Does anyone happen to have such a quilt from the 1960's or know more about them? Tex
The quilts you describe are now called scrap quilts. They have always been, and will always be, made with the materials on hand at the time of their making. In the 60's and 70's, that material was primarily synthetic so that's what the quilts were. It has nothing to do with hippies or hippie culture. I don't know where you got your information, but it does not ring true at all in my experience.

As a card carrying Hippie (that'd be my AARP card), I can assure you that quilting during that period was the furthest thing from my mind. I made quilts both before and after the years I spent living what you call "the hippie lifestyle", but certainly not during and I'd be willing to bet those women you speak of who "just seemed to pick up one (piece of fabric) after another without paying attention to design or color or hue" were merely experiencing an alternative state of consciousness and had no intention of sewing them together.
Right on sister! The 'hippies" were busy with other things and sewing would be the furthest thing from their minds! (tripping, smoking, protesting, communing, etc.!!!)
Old 07-15-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
... I'd be willing to bet those women you speak of who "just seemed to pick up one (piece of fabric) after another without paying attention to design or color or hue" were merely experiencing an alternative state of consciousness and had no intention of sewing them together.
Good thing I wasn't sipping a cuppa!! The monitor would need a good cleaning. Toooo funny.... off to check my consiousness now :thumbup:

piney
Old 07-15-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
I try to avoid anything related to the 60's.
HEY..I am from the 60's!!..ehehhe
couldn't resist that one...

lots of really GOOD things came from the 60's!

I did not have a quilt, but in the 80's I found a long skirt at the goodwill shop..all patched worked together,different fabrics, pieces on a plain black sheet type fabric, buttoned down the front..it was awesome...I wore it over my bathing suit for years!
That would have been soooooo awesome to have!!! Lucky you!!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:05 PM

I made clothing but definitely not quilts!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
Right on sister! The 'hippies" were busy with other things and sewing would be the furthest thing from their minds! (tripping, smoking, protesting, communing, etc.!!!)
Hey I grew up in the 60's....I had a lot of other things on my mind during that time, but it certainly was not any of those things mentioned above. It was more like, boys, dating, clothes, boys, parties, boys, dating, boys, parties, boys, clothes, .......did I mention boys?