Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2.5 inch strips >

2.5 inch strips

2.5 inch strips

Old 07-30-2018, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

I love pre cuts. I use my Go to many of them though. I buy MSQC jelly rolls when on a daily deal. The variety of a jelly roll can't be beat. All the fabrics in one line all together. As far as the pinked edges when sewing, just ignore them and sew as straight edge.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:25 PM

It appears there are brands that have straight edges. Perhaps these would work for your project.

https://jordanfabrics.com/collections/strip-sets
Old 07-31-2018, 03:42 AM

I you buy yardage and cut your own, you are going to have to have approximately 3 yards at the very least , as you can get 14 strips of WOF out of a yard of fabric and this would be a 1 yard cut. To have the various fabrics, you would need 20 fabrics cut at 1/6 yard each. total of 3 and 1/3 yards fabric. I do have a quilt shop that will cut 1/6 yard cuts. You do the math, I would say to shop and find a jelly roll on sale. Just MHO
Old 07-31-2018, 03:54 AM

I like Jelly Rolls because generally they are all from the same line of fabric and play nicely together. Once in a while a blooper is added but not more than one and not in every roll. I watch for good quality jelly rolls on sale, online. Often but not always MSQ. When I count my time for shopping for colors that blend well, pressing, cutting, recalculating patterns for yardage cut strips. I don't think I am losing much on the purchase of an on-sale jelly roll.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:07 AM

If you do buy a jelly roll watch what you buy. Some only have 20 strips instead of 40 so the price seems great until you realize that you have to have 2 of them to make a quilt.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:19 AM

I made the Amazing Jelly Roll Quilt using fat quarters and yardage and just cut my own 2 1/2" strips. It's a bit of work and a bit hard to know if you have enough fabric, but it came out really nicely.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post

i have two friends who have had very good experiences with the strip rolls sold by jordanfabrics.com
they swear that every strip is cut precisely.
I was watching a few of Jordan Fabrics youtubes last week and learned all their precuts are cut on site by Mr. Jordan.
He uses the biggest rotary cutter and a long utility ruler to straighten up the beginning edge. I thought I was the only one with one of those
Old 07-31-2018, 03:18 PM

Ditto candyquilting. Start out small and decide if you like the way the project looks. You'll know as you grow in quilting about how much to buy etec.
I don't like to buy anything with pinked edges. After you have been at this game a bit, you'll have plenty of fabric to strip into whatever sizes you need.

A gal named Bonnie Hunter has a method of scrap management that I use. I cut leftover scraps into 2.5", 3.5", 5" in strips and blocks to use in other quilts. At some point you'll have a huge stash.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:33 PM

I once was cuckoo for jelly rolls. This was my favorite online site to buy them: https://www.jellyrollfabric.net/
because they are cut accurate, they are quality fabric, and they are decently priced.
Note: they are 20 strip rolls. And they are on sale right now. This site also has LOTS of free patterns to use with your jelly rolls. Love free stuff.
BTW...I am not affiliated with this website in any way, just liked their rolls. I don't buy them much anymore because I still have lots to use up first.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:49 PM

Another place to check for jelly rolls is Green Fairy Quilts. They usually have a precut sale each week. You shouls be able to check details on a jelly roll to see how many duplicates there are.