Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 2 layers of batting

2 layers of batting

Has anyone ever used 2 layers of batting when layering their quilt? Was it harder to quilt? Did you like it afterward? Would you do it again? I am considering using two layers on my next quilt to make it a little more fluffy. What are you thoughts?
    Susan

I have made small quilts with two layers of batting and it works nicely to quilt. I used a 80/20 batting on the backing side of the quilt and a 100% cotton on the top side. I liked the fluffy look. I personally do not like to quilt with polyester batting-in anything!

Banned
    I am hand quilting one now with two layers. Its a bit harder to keep the stitching small, but no problems otherwise.

Power Poster
    ​Long arm quilters frequently use 2 batts to give more definition to their quilting. The only problem I can see is the bulk if you are using your sewing machine to FMQ and stuffing it through the harp space.

With all the throw pillows I have been making lately, I do like two battings, but can't imagine doing it in a larger size honestly. And I have a HQSS16 sitdown. I love the definition of the quilting, but they are heavy when they are quilted. I just can't imagine that in a full/queen/king sized quilt.

It was a bit harder to move through the machine too.

I think if you want fluffier, you might consider the type of batting and how far apart you are quilting. The more you quilt, the denser the sandwich gets and you just get heaviness vs fluffiness...

I love using two brats in my quilts because it does make for a puffier quilt with more definition in my quilting stitches. I use one layer of polyester and one layer of 80/20. I also spray baste the two layers together so they don't shift on me as I quilt. It makes it much easier to quilt!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Becky's Crafts View Post
    I love using two brats in my quilts ...
    That's one way to keep them out of your hair LOL
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I have made a number of quilts with double batts. I machine quilt them myself and have never had a problem. I have always used cotton batting and once you start quilting, you don't even notice the extra bulk.
    Life is Good!!!

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    Haha brats.🤗🤗 Don't you just love auto correct!

Blog Entries
    My long-armer frequently uses 2 battings on more intricate quilts that she custom quilts, and it just makes the quilt "pop". She will use a cotton batt and a wool battt and the results are stunning!
    It's not a stash-it's a fabric library!
    http://www.mamisquilts.com/

Years ago I made a quilt top for a raffle for veterans and took it to a long arm quilter. Told her that I wanted it to be "fluffy", and left the quilting pattern up to her. What I got back was a quilt with TWO layers of fluffy batting that made the quilt so heavy you couldn't lift it. They only made $150 on the raffle because no one wanted to sleep with something that heavy on them. I was so upset!

Why not start with a fluffy batting? My first thought was some of the poly batting are quite fluffy.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I used 2 low loft poly battings before, but those quilts I tied, so can't say about quilting. I went to high loft batting and felt that was easier.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by susanwilley View Post
    Has anyone ever used 2 layers of batting when layering their quilt? Was it harder to quilt? Did you like it afterward? Would you do it again? I am considering using two layers on my next quilt to make it a little more fluffy. What are you thoughts?
    I am a longarm quilter, I use two layers quite frequently. Not only when doing custom, but also use the double batt with problem quilts. Questions you need to ask yourself:
    1. How fluffy?
    2. How warm?
    3. How am I going to quilt this?

Depending on the type of batting you plan on using will also help determine how you are going to quilt. You state that you want a fluffy quilt. Just how fluffy, comforter? If going for a comforter, using a domestic machine or hand quilting, you may consider using a high loft poly, a 9 oz or 12 oz. Those are both fluffy and will be warm with little difficulty on quilting.
    If you are a woof lover, as myself, I would get a good quality 80/20 wool and then use an 80/20 Hobbs cotton. Those two together give for a lofty quilt, heavier, and very warm but allow you to breathe. You will not get the loft if you quilt it heavily. Plus using a domestic makes it a bit challenging with two layers, you will want to baste it very well.
    That is my two cents worth.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

[QUOTE=QuilterMomma;7700530] If you are a woof lover, as myself,

i can tell you're a "woof lover" by your avatar, QuilterMomma LOL
    As much as I hate it, my seam ripper is my best friend.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like using an 80/20 Hobbs on the bottom and a washable wool bat on the top (prefer Hobbs Heirloom, but have a roll that isn't) when I want a quilt that really "pops" the quilting. It does make the quilt heavier, but not too bad. but have to admit that I love wool ANYTIME! quilts so wonderfully and quilting is so noticeable on it. I don't hand quilt but my HQ friends like wool too

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    That's one way to keep them out of your hair LOL
    😂😂😂😂

I needed that!

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s