Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
#2 pencil for marking? >

#2 pencil for marking?

#2 pencil for marking?

Old 10-22-2016, 05:01 AM

I seem to go back to the pencil and as long as I don't iron it it comes out when I wash the quilt.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:14 AM

I like the Clover white marker. I had no trouble removing it.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:07 AM

Just a quick follow up for anyone interested. I just finished hand quilting a baby quilt and marked with a #2 mechanical pencil. Had the top all marked and after beginning to quilt the initial design decided I didn't like how that was going. Out came the quilting. Changed my quilting design and re-marked with the same #2 mechanical pencil. Most of this marking was done on a very light grey, tone on tone fabric. I just washed the quilt - normal permanent press cycle; warm water and Arm & Hammer liquid detergent. Every line is gone. Not a one present. It's now in the dryer - woohoo for me that I can finally gift this thing since the baby is now several months old.

This is my typical experience with the #2 pencil.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:10 PM

I had a hard time removing the pencil marks also. They did eventually come out but if you are going to use pencil, I think I would make it very light. That might come out easier than mine did
Old 10-23-2016, 04:32 AM

I went to the Des Moines Quilt Show earlier in the month and at one booth they were showing us a new pounce type powder that comes out with a steam iron. Even had new type templates that you could crumble up and then smooth out to use again. He also showed you could use his templates with paint and just wash the paint off and reuse. I didn't buy any then but now I wish I would have gotten the crayon type pencil he offered as I'm getting ready to try my hand at ruler work. I went on the internet to find his site and of course I can't remember what the name is off hand but he's out there. Only thing I forgot to ask him is if the chalk comes back after washing or if it gets cold, etc. as other products seem to do. I just entered disappearing pounce chalk to find him on the internet. Its worth a whirl.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:41 AM

Be careful using a lead pencil. If you iron on the lines, there might be a oil mark. I had that happen, so I do not iron over my lines. If you do it will take more washing to get them out.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I went to the Des Moines Quilt Show earlier in the month and at one booth they were showing us a new pounce type powder that comes out with a steam iron. Even had new type templates that you could crumble up and then smooth out to use again. He also showed you could use his templates with paint and just wash the paint off and reuse. I didn't buy any then but now I wish I would have gotten the crayon type pencil he offered as I'm getting ready to try my hand at ruler work. I went on the internet to find his site and of course I can't remember what the name is off hand but he's out there. Only thing I forgot to ask him is if the chalk comes back after washing or if it gets cold, etc. as other products seem to do. I just entered disappearing pounce chalk to find him on the internet. Its worth a whirl.
I was at the same quilt show, and I ended up with his pounce powder. I bought one of the white pencils last time, but I wanted to do marking with a stencil. I like to just be reference marks on the blocks so I use a stencil with 1" lines on one end and a 8 line square/diagonal set of lines on the other end. Gives me a guide for my FMQ. I had their old pounce powder, but it brushed off too easily. I asked if it came back when cold or after washing, and he said it didn't, that it really went away. I am looking forward to trying it out on a table runner I made in a class at the show. I will try the cold check on it; it is a lot easier to get a table runner into the freezer than a quilt!
Old 10-23-2016, 06:24 AM

I won't use pencil because the lines are hard to remove.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:26 AM

I've done a lot of embroidery and when transferring a pattern, a #2 pencil is always suggested....I've never had a problem, but I do use a light hand when I use it.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:34 PM

My favorite is the Crayola Ultra Clean Crayon set. I just started using them recently. I saw them on sale for back-to-school and decided to try them. I used every color heavily on a piece of white cotton and washed it in cold water. Every single color disappeared. I hear that people like the markers too, but I like being able to see how much is left. Also, with a wide range of colors, you have something that can be seen on every color fabric.

Tate