Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2011 goal, is anyone with me?

My quilting goal for 2011 is to stay out of the fabric stores as much as possible this year. To use up my stash and buy only what I need, anyone with me ? Also, how long can we make it?

mine is try to be a better person

no

Blog Entries
    Sure, I'm in on both of those. I need to add staying away from online fabric stores, too.
    Being a better person covers a lot of bases, but I'm game.

My goal is to finish up as many unfinished projects as possible. I would like to say I will only buy fabric needed to finish a product, but that wouldn't be true. I have enough fabric to finish all my projects. But I am itching to get to the fabric store and buy something....anything. Been on crutches for a few weeks, knee surgery 2 weeks ago and still on crutches. Haven't been out and about to do any shopping. That has made me want to go fabric shopping even more so. All I can do is say I will try, but I really don't think that is a promise I will be able to keep..... good luck to you though. Happy New Year.

Tried that last year (2010), and it didn't work out too well by the middle of the year. I wish you luck!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I can probably do it until February when my birthday comes and with it some gift cards :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by maine ladybug
    Tried that last year (2010), and it didn't work out too well by the middle of the year. I wish you luck!
    I understand that! I will need it! Like I am going to last but I will try. At least for a month, surely I can last that long :(

I, again, will try to use my stash for 2011. Actually, I didn't buy any fabric the whole month of December. I did buy tons in November! So, can I get a head start with December and then I will only have 11 months to go?

That is what I did in 2010...

You can be a better person by helping your fabric store staying in business. My story, and I am sticking with it.

I'm with you. The only thing I may need is thread and perhaps batting. Is that allowed? If I use up my stash can I go shopping? (Sure, like that's gonna happen!)

I'm in. I have to stop buying fabric. I have a lot.

Yes! I must get on a buget!

But shopping for fabric is part of my therapy!

Can't join you--I got 2 gift cards to JoAnns for Christmas. I'm sure I need something from there. Actually thinking about buying a new cutting table. Mine has seen better days and I have to prop the one drop leaf on the ironing board because the "leg" is broken. Hope you can keep your resolution.

I wish YOU luck, lol, but if I said I would I would be lying, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63
    Yes! I must get on a buget!
    Me too, only problem everytime I put myself on a budget, I go blow right through that like it didn't exist, which is why I must stay out of the fabric stores as much as possible. I had a gift card for Christmas so I stopped in to use it, use it I did. I spent 3 times as much. I am worse than a kid in a candy store! How did I get like this?

Have fun. I know I will while I am out shopping for fabric, notions or whatever I decide to buy. I don't make NY Resolutions, as I never keep them anyway. To me they are useless...

I am going to try and be a "good girl" and use up my stash, but I know the fabric store will be calling me sooner or later! LOL

There are two sides to everything. On one side I need to use up a whole lot of my stash. But it never fails when I go to do a project there is always something else I need. I ease my mind by admitting if I didn't keep the fabric stores and LQS going with my business they would cease to exist and then where would I get my fabric?
    Making Linus quilts is a good way to use some of my stash and a good excuse to purchase those cute children's fabrics that I would not need otherwise. As long as I am not depriving my family or the other charities I support I will keep shopping.

I'm gonna work on using my stash which probably means I'm going to work on mostly piecing tops together. I don't know if I'll actually finish a quilt beginning to end this year. We'll see what the year brings. My husband is retiring from the Navy, he'll be getting a new job (hopefully, fingers crossed) so we'll have to be watching the finances more closely this year than we probably ever have had to before. So staying out of the stores is probably best for me. This will also apply to my scrapbooking, cross stitching and other crafting hobbies. ;)

Nope.
    My goal is to try new quilting patterns and techniques. Learn by doing. So if fabric gets bought, used, sacrificed, it's all for my 'continuing education.'

Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    My quilting goal for 2011 is to stay out of the fabric stores as much as possible this year. To use up my stash and buy only what I need, anyone with me ? Also, how long can we make it?
    define "Need" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    I had already decided to concentrate on UFOs and try to buy as little as possible. However, I'm already signed up for a retreat in May that may require some buying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast