Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 3 bindings

Blog Entries

3 bindings

I am making a quilt that will have three bindings. Do I sew the three pieces together and then onto the quilt or sew each binding onto the quilt then the next, etc.? Sorry if this question has been repeated.....

how about 2 borders and one binding? is this what you are meaning?
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have sewn two bindings on a quilt and I sewed them to each other. I didn't know you could sew them individually. I usually sew one 1 1/2" and the other 2". I iron them wrong sides together and then lay the 1 1/2" against the back and turn the whole binding to the front and sew between the two colors and then have a 1/4" lip. Nice looking.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Terminology seems to be a problem here. You can only have one binding on a quilt. (Although it can be made of two fabrics, or more). I think you mean borders. If you mitre the corners you can sew the 3 borders on at the same time, but if you don't mitre then sewing them all at once will result in a rather strange look at the corners.

Blog Entries
    I'm assuming you mean borders, not bindings. If you pre sew the strips together, you have to decide how you want to handle the corners. If you pre sew the strips, you can miter the corners or ignore the corners alltogether by making a block that size and putting one in each corner. If you just presew the strips and add them, the corners will look odd.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Borders are what go around the blocks. They can be simple unpieced strips or they can be more complicated, pieced strips. Binding is what goes over the edge of the quilt after it has been quilted.