Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
3D Pinwheel Block Question >

3D Pinwheel Block Question

3D Pinwheel Block Question

Old 09-08-2011, 05:29 PM

I have always admired the 3D Pinwheel quilts, so the other night I made a sample block. They are quite simple and quick to assemble, however, the last seem seemed to be it's undoing for me. How in the world do you, or is it possible, to get rid of that bulk where the seams meet in te middle? Thanks for any tips in advance. :D
Old 09-08-2011, 05:35 PM

when i made mine i think i pressed the seams open
Old 09-08-2011, 05:56 PM

There is a similar problem with 10 minute blocks. Press the seams open if you can, use small stitch length so you can trim some of the bulk out.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:39 PM

I clip off the corners, and press the last seam open, on a pinwheel block. I have also seen them clipped on the center so one side can be pressed one direction and the other side pressed the other, have all seams in the pinwheel going the same direction.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinbee
I have always admired the 3D Pinwheel quilts, so the other night I made a sample block. They are quite simple and quick to assemble, however, the last seem seemed to be it's undoing for me. How in the world do you, or is it possible, to get rid of that bulk where the seams meet in te middle? Thanks for any tips in advance. :D
OK, I will attempt to tell you a simple solution to the bulk. I hope I can say it so you can 'see' what I'm saying.

At the seam where the bulk is, at the center where all meets, take seam ripper and undo the 3-4 stitches that are in the seam allowance.. Your seam will then part, so to speak. One side will go one way, the other will go other way, hence, a flat seam, and it isn't necessary to open any seams. Press and everything is flat.

I hope you can see what I mean, it makes all the difference in the world with any bulk on any block.. I do it all the time, on Bow Ties, 3D Bow Ties, 10 Min Blocks, Friendship blocks...It works.

Jean