Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
3Yard Quilts >

3Yard Quilts

3Yard Quilts

Old 06-16-2022, 10:46 AM

Default 3Yard Quilts

I purchased a kit from Fabric Cafe. Measured the length of each piece which was 37". Washed as I do all my quilting fabric and it shrunk to 35" After straitening the edges I have 34 and 1/2" to work with. According to the directions, I might not have enough. Has anyone had this situation?
Old 06-16-2022, 11:12 AM

yep, fabric shrinks. If I buy a kit from a quilt shop I generally do not pre-wash as sometimes, they give just enough before you wash it as you have discovered. I also have bought kits that have fat quarters which actually are not fat quarters and I have been unable to cut out my pieces with them. I have substituted fabric from my own stash if I have something that will work. Also some 10 inch squares and jelly rolls end up not being the full size they claim to be. I generally do not buy kits often but will on occasion.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

I can usually press it back to almost original size with steam. I have made lots of three yard quilt kits from Fabric Cafe and always had enough fabric. Sometimes I pre wash and sometimes I don't. I usually use fabric from my stash for the binding and not cut that.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:05 PM

Now you all have gotten me interested in investigating the 3 yard quilts patterns! I lead a small quilt group in my home and am constantly looking for quick, easy quilt tops we can make together. How long does it actually take to make one of these?
Old 06-16-2022, 01:14 PM

Would you have enough fabric to make the blocks and not add the border. Many of her patterns look OK without the borders.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

I’ve made a bunch of her quilts but I don’t prewash. I seem to remember having plenty of fabric. Maybe you will be okay.
Old 06-16-2022, 04:24 PM

One I just made was 10 hours to complete top.. 2.5 evenings after work (4+4+2) and that was fabric to finish - including cutting time.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

Depending on the pattern I can cut and sew a top in about six hours not rushing.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Synnove View Post
Now you all have gotten me interested in investigating the 3 yard quilts patterns! I lead a small quilt group in my home and am constantly looking for quick, easy quilt tops we can make together. How long does it actually take to make one of these?
You can't beat Pinterest for quickly sorting through a bunch of ideas. There are tons of quick quilts there:
https://www.pinterest.ca/search/pins...yped&term_meta[]=quick%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=quilts%7Ctyped