Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
4 Patch Stacked Posies >

4 Patch Stacked Posies

4 Patch Stacked Posies

Old 08-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
... When I bought the fabric I asked how long the repeat is and they just said it's usually 12 inches. ....
WOW I cannot believe that said that. the repeat can be anywhere from about 6 to 24 inches. You need to examine your fabric and determine the size of YOUR fabric repeat. Look about an inch or so up from the selvedge for a very obvious item in the pattern, like the tip of a leaf or the nose on an animal. then continue to look down the selvedge edge to see where that exact item is repeated. Measure the distance between these 2 occurances and that's the length of your repeat.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
... When I bought the fabric I asked how long the repeat is and they just said it's usually 12 inches. ....
WOW I cannot believe that said that. the repeat can be anywhere from about 6 to 24 inches. You need to examine your fabric and determine the size of YOUR fabric repeat. Look about an inch or so up from the selvedge for a very obvious item in the pattern, like the tip of a leaf or the nose on an animal. then continue to look down the selvedge edge to see where that exact item is repeated. Measure the distance between these 2 occurances and that's the length of your repeat.
I was worried about this. It calls for different yardage depending on the repeat. I hope I got enough and didn't waste $90. Thanks everyone. I'm going to try cutting it tonight.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:28 AM
Banned

I got this pattern all cut last night. Her directions are as some of you mentioned a bit confusing. I especially don't like that she gives no info on how many strips of the block borders to cut, just says cut some. However, I did email the designer and she emailed back within an hour with additional pictures and advise. I'll probably start sewing on it Friday or Saturday.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:31 AM
Banned

be sure and pin exact at several places to line up each layer as perfect as you can. The beauty is points matching.
And cut down the fabric as that is always the exact repeat.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:45 AM

I loved making mine. I found some really neat material with interesting designs. The most patternded fabric of the line I used for the 4 patch posies. The coordinating stripe was for the sashing and the small coordinating pattern was for the cornerstones and borders.

I just pinned the the layers of fabric together matching a few points throughout and then cut away. It was a quick and easy quilt to make.

ali

My finisehd 4 patch posie quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]243016[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-243010.jpe  
Old 08-17-2011, 06:47 AM

Wow thanks. Finding the repeat was one of my biggest issues. When I bought the fabric I asked how long the repeat is and they just said it's usually 12 inches. Usually never works out right for me.
You've gotta measure your repeats yourself. Can't trust any generalizations.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:50 AM

Thank you. The LSQ said she thought I was over buying but I got what it said plus like 1/4 yard for errors cause as we all know it won't be there later and that shop is like 2 hours from my house.
Always over buy--------------you'll find something to do with the excess. Not having enough is ugly!