Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
4 strip Hidden Wells Help needed >

4 strip Hidden Wells Help needed

4 strip Hidden Wells Help needed

Old 09-29-2023, 10:10 AM

Unhappy 4 strip Hidden Wells Help needed

Please Help....I used strips from a "jelly roll" but apparently they were not uniformly 2.5" wide. Once the 4 strips were sewn together none were 8.5" high, some were 8.25", some 8 1/8" some shy of that, so I cut them to 8" wide X 8" high but now when I sew the 1/4" all around the 2 outside strips will be 1 3/4" wide and the 2 inside strips will be 2" wide each - have I ruined it or will it still be possible to create the Hidden Wells? Thank you!
Old 09-29-2023, 10:42 AM

is this it? https://www.quilt.today/2021/04/hidd...de-with-4.html
Old 09-29-2023, 02:25 PM

ruined? no.
will it look as you imagined and will the seams match up? likely not. However, if the error is consistent amongst all blocks, it may work out okay without too much notice.

That being said, you could move forward with it as is and still have a functional quilt in the end, or you could turn them into something else where the error is less noticeable (rail fence?) and start over with a new top using your newly learned lesson.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:29 PM

Yes that's it
Old 09-29-2023, 02:31 PM

Thank you. I have seen mention of being able to use different width strips but could not find anything definitive.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:53 PM

You could probably use strips of a different width (not 2 1/2") and have the block work, but the strips would all need to be the same width and you would get a different size block.
Old 09-30-2023, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
You could probably use strips of a different width (not 2 1/2") and have the block work, but the strips would all need to be the same width and you would get a different size block.
Thank you - the strips are sewn together and the blocks were already cut when I realized what the issue would be so I guess I will just have to use what I have in some way
Old 09-30-2023, 05:17 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by LAF2019 View Post
ruined? no.
will it look as you imagined and will the seams match up? likely not. However, if the error is consistent amongst all blocks, it may work out okay without too much notice.

That being said, you could move forward with it as is and still have a functional quilt in the end, or you could turn them into something else where the error is less noticeable (rail fence?) and start over with a new top using your newly learned lesson.
Well I guess the lesson is not all "jelly rolls" are created equal and to measure all those strip widths before using them ...
Old 09-30-2023, 07:38 AM

me personally, I don't like using jelly rolls with the zig zag edges. sometimes they measure 2.5 from the inside zag, sometimes from the outside zig!
I'm sure it will be beautiful regardless.
Welcome to the board, you'll find lots of good friends here.
Old 09-30-2023, 07:48 AM

welcome joze, could you just make the blocks smaller now? Trim and then quarter from there?