Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 45mm vs 60mm?

Thank you.I will look for them on there.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I use both, I prefer my 45mm for cutting 4 layers and the 60 for cutting more layers and heavier fabrics :D:D:D
    Same for me. The 45 is easier for me to control but for heavier fabrics, the 60 works better especially for fleece as someone noted earlier. I also have the itty bitty one for cutting around templates.

I have one of those itty bitty ones too.I barely ever use the 60mm.I miss it when I need it though because as yuou said it does do a great job on heavier fabric.

I had one of the ones that was supposed to use either 60 or 45 mm blades. It's headed for the trash as the blade will no longer stay down while you are using it (either size blade). Very disconcerting to be cutting and have the blade pop back up into safe position!

The 45mm blades are much more readily available so I'm going to just go with the 45mm one and the tiny one. I find I rarely use the tiny one though.

I use both and a 65mm for blocks with many intersecting seams. I use my 45mm for cutting strips and switch to a 60mm when cutting sewn strips. My 45mm could cut through it but dulls faster when cutting through multiple layers.

I use 45 Martelli Ergo cutter. Since I bought that all the other cutters lay in a drawer. I can cut all day and not get a sore wrist.

I have both, and I am like sewmuchmore, whichever I find first Actually when I started quilting, I got the 45mm, and used it till I almost wore it out, then got a few more. The 60 is what I use now only because its easier to find. lol. I have rings to hang them on hooks, but hmm where did I put that cutter????

Rita

I have all sizes. I prefer the 60 in my Martilli but it is dull. I am really ticked at the salesman who sold me it at a quilt show. He kept saying the blades would stay sharp while trying to sell me extra ones. I went to a smaller show this past weekend and there was a woman dealer there. She said the blades would dull and was not surprised that her male counterparts had said otherwise.
    I have an autoimmune disease that effects my muscle strength and I tire very easily. The larger blade and ergonmic handle helps me be able to cut fabric longer. I still have a problem with keeping it straight on longer cuts.

I love the 60mm. The blades are costly, however, they last much longer. All a personal choice.

I have 28mm - 45mm - 60mm, usually use the 45mm, 60mm great for several thickness cut.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I have both - I use both -

The one I use is the first one I can locate.
    That's the one I use too! I have both and like both but I prefer the 60 mm. I think it cuts better through multiple layers.

I have both. I use the 60mm a lot and the 45mm too. It depends on which one has the sharper blade at the time. I think I go for the 60 for long strips. I have the smaller ones too. They are good for smaller cuts.

I use both, if I'm doing multiple layers I use the 60, if not I use the 45. I have the smaller one, I use that for cutting single layers without a ruler but I really don't need it.

Fleece does dull the blade. I decided to switch to the ergonomic style cutters so I use my old cutters for cutting fleece, plastic for templates, and paper.

I have both. Love the 60mm.

Blog Entries
    i use the 60 when i cut fleece..

I have four: 60, 45, 28, 18. The 60 I use for batting and lots o' layers. The 45 I use most b/c it has the ergo handle, cuts most everything just fine, and the blades are cheaper than the 60s. The 28 I use for small cuts, like those Marti Michell templates, and geting just one square out of a large-ish scrap. The 18 I bought b/c the LQS promoted it for cutting the Marti Michell templates but it really only does 1-2 layers well and dulls quickly so I hardly ever use it.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I use both, I prefer my 45mm for cutting 4 layers and the 60 for cutting more layers and heavier fabrics :D:D:D
    Same here, i also use the 60 for squaring off after the quilting is done, all those layers...

I have the 28mm,45mm and 60mm. I bought the 60mm cutter when I took a class for the wonky 9 patch(stack and slash method). I needed to cut 9 layers at a time.
    I use the 45mm cutter for smaller cutting jobs, such as when I'm cutting half square triangles after sewing from squares.
    I use the 28mm when I'm cutting circles or drunkard's path
    patches.
    Another Sharon

I have found uses for all four: 60mm, 45mm, 28mm and 18mm.

Senior Member janquilts'ncrochets's Avatar
    I have all three sizes. I only use the smallest one on curves or tight cuts. I do use the 45mm the most, but I use the 60mm for thickest cuts. I use my 45 to cut out clothing patterns too. For me it's much faster. I've been using them since they became available. I've been sewing for over 50 years. Jan

I have several sizes but use my 28mm the most. It seems the most comfortable in my hand.

Power Poster
    I have both and use both but don't really think it makes any diffrence which one you use. They do cut the same.

I have a 60, 45,28 and i Think a 15. Use them all for different projects. The 60 I just got so haven't used it much yet - just for large blocks - faster. The smaller ones I have at my machines for cutting the dog ears or for very small blocks.

I have both & use both.

The small one is (I believe) a 28mm and I don't know about the 15. I feel the 28 is great for cutting small pieces and pieces with small curves or circles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast