Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 4th Block Challenge

This is an amazing block and you guys are doing a fantastic job! Love every color choice! Can you tell me how you plan on quilting it? Will you hand quilt, machine quilt? Just curious...Would love to make one but was wondering how to machine quilt it. I don't have time to hand quilt...too many waiting for me to finish. My machine quilting is very limited...I cross hatch, stitch in the ditch, etc. My free motion is not so great...Thanks for any suggestions....Laura

The block is just an exercise in paper piecing and color placement and selection. I don't know if anyone plans to quilt it, unless they are making enough for an entire quilt - and for those of you that are wondering -----yes-----------mine will be posted soon.........

I am so proud....
    I knew i had to try this again and I think I did pretty good this time. Not perfect but so much improved. I learned several lessons:
    1. Tape not pins for me
    2. Cut the template out with a 1/4 inch extra. I was less likely to have a shortage of fabric .
    3. Cut the fabric slightly larger but close to the size i needed to help with placement.
    4. If it's not right, rip it out!
    5. Patience, patience, patience
    6. Use good fabric for stability.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh, and feel free to scroll back and look at my first attempt. You can even snicker if you like because my confidence is restored now!!

That is sooooooo pretty!! You learned from this - that is what we are all here for!! Thanks!

Looks perfect to me!

One other hint is to starch the fabric until it is almost like card stock, so much easier to work with.

Another hint is I cut out my fabric pieces before I start, some pp patterns have templates for this or give sizes and numbers of each to cut. This method doesn't save on fabric though, just makes piecing easier.

I like that...I really like the black backround. You did great!

fun2quilt....Thanks for the tips. I am going to do that for sure the next time.

I didn't realize it was just to play with a block...I just assumed all blocks would be made into a quilt....So much fun and not alot of pressure to always have to make something into a quilt....

Marymc - very nice block! Love your colors.

Thanks butterflyblue, I have learned a lot. wonder if we will get another challenge?? I think I've learned more through this than I could in a lot of the classes offered. I am so thankful for everyones kind words.

I am glad that you enjoyed the 4 challenges, but with all of the "copywrite" rules, I really have to stop these now. So sorry---------------

community benefactor mbogenpohl's Avatar
    Beautiful blocks ladies! My brain don't seem to like paper piecing very well I guess I can't think backwards!!! LOL!

I am so sad hearing that. I really enjoyed this and have learned from it.
    Thanks for doing this!

Thank you........

Thanks stitchinwitch! I appreciate all you've done. I will continue to look for challenges to teach me new things.

Thanks Stitchinwitch, I pooped out on ya there at the end !! Have been watching for the next to jump back in. Have enjoyed seeing all the combos though. :)
    Is the BOM thread similar??

There are so many places to find quilt blocks. Just do a google search and you will be amazed!

http://www.qorsite.com/styles/classi...sicblocks.html

http://delawarequilts.com/BOMs/RowByRow/

Maybe these 2 could start you out! (I still would like to know how you are doing)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2