Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
505 Basting Gone Wrong >

505 Basting Gone Wrong

505 Basting Gone Wrong

Old 07-18-2015, 12:52 AM

I had the same problem and did the following. Get a small bowl or jar and put some turpentine in it. Remove the nozzle from the can and drop the nozzle into the turps and leave for about a minute. This should dissolve the glue and the nozzle should come out clean. Rinse nozzle under clean water put it back on the can and continue spaying. You may need to repeat this a couple of times until your quilt is all done. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by sylvia776 View Post
I had the same problem and did the following. Get a small bowl or jar and put some turpentine in it. Remove the nozzle from the can and drop the nozzle into the turps and leave for about a minute. This should dissolve the glue and the nozzle should come out clean. Rinse nozzle under clean water put it back on the can and continue spaying. You may need to repeat this a couple of times until your quilt is all done. Good luck.
I always use 505 and have only had this happen to me one time . . .but used the turpentine trick and it worked perfectly. But after this, I've always ensured I had at least two cans on hand so I can continue basting and deal with the of problem later.

The instructions say to spray it on the batting. However, to get the backing and top layer to stick, about twice as much is needed. I always spray the top and backing rather than the batting and not only does the spray go twice as far, but I don't end up with gummed needles.