Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
8 point Mariners Compass Pattern? >

8 point Mariners Compass Pattern?

8 point Mariners Compass Pattern?

Old 05-21-2022, 12:39 PM

Default 8 point Mariners Compass Pattern?

Hey Y'all!
I'm designing and working out the pattern/details on a baby quilt for my niece. The 'theme' in the baby's nursery is Uncharted - a travel/adventure video game/movie. So I'm taking a logo/image from the game & putting as the central feature on the quilt. It's an 8 pointed compass. I've drawn it out on EQ (draft shown below), but I'm not sure if it will let me print the pattern properly. Soooo - I'm coming here to pick you brains - does anyone have recommendation for an 8 point mariners compass pattern? I've never done a mariners compass, but willing to try.
Can it be traditionally pieced, or does it have to be paper-pieced?
Thank you!
Donna Mc

Attached Thumbnails draft-2.jpg  

Last edited by osewfast; 05-21-2022 at 12:41 PM. Reason: correcting photo
Old 05-21-2022, 02:17 PM
Gay

I would probably piece this in the normal way, as those curved sections can't be foundation pieced. But you could paper piece them. With the EQ you have it shouldn't be too difficult to print out. I have EQ7 and the larger diagonal 'point' would print over several pages as I can't turn it perpendicular, only in 90 degree increments. But that also depends on the size of your compass. Have attached a pic showing which order I would do in sections, and reverse the pattern to do section 4.

Attached Thumbnails magna-compass3.jpg  
Old 05-21-2022, 04:13 PM

You can always print the pattern out as a small pattern so that it is on one page for each part of the star. Then take it to somewhere that can enlarge it. Think Staples, or Office Depot. They have paper that is 24 x 36 inches that can give you a very large dramatic pattern.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:36 AM

Love your design, especially the interesting border!
Old 05-22-2022, 02:18 PM

Thank you for the advise and suggestions. I THINK I finally got EQ to print the star template properly. If I want it bigger, I'll utilize the copier enlargement function at work. I think I'll applique the circles down to the large (on-point) center section - so no piecing needed there. The challenge will be the center star - but I'm willing to give it a go. I'll try traditional piecing, but might resort to PP'ing if needed. Then I hope to applique the entire star down to the background. Can you tell I'm very comfortable with applique...but very hesitant with PP'ing. hahaha! I'll keep y'all posted on the progress. =)

Blessings,
Donna Mc
Old 05-22-2022, 02:39 PM

When a Mariner's Compass is this large, you can cut the pieces (adding the seam allowance) - I took a course where we did this, tracing/printing each pattern piece onto freezer paper (minus the seam allowances). Then we ironed this onto the fabric and cut out each piece adding the 1/4" all the way around. This stabilized the fabric pieces and it was so easy to join them all to make the centre compass part with background.
The teacher had a special technique for insetting the pieced centre into a larger background to make the full square. Your pattern as drawn wouldn't need to do the special technique...
Old 05-23-2022, 03:31 AM

Ooo - that sounds interesting. So you happen to recall the course's name/teacher or if there is a book or website?
Thanks!
Donna Mc
Old 05-23-2022, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

It looks like it would be fairly manageable to piece - except for the lettering.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by osewfast View Post
Ooo - that sounds interesting. So you happen to recall the course's name/teacher or if there is a book or website?
Thanks!
Donna Mc
It was a member of our guild, she had/has patterns for sale, I can ask her if she would be willing to contact you? Or if she would let me give her information to you .... if you're truly interested....
Several of us had signed up for her class via our guild, then Covid struck! She did an email tutorial for all of us with tons of pictures and we all managed to finish our projects...
Just PM me if you'd like me to proceed further...
Old 05-26-2022, 02:33 AM

Saw this and thought of you...https://thequiltersbazaar.com/collec...baudo-guiseppe