Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 9 degree wedge ruler

Just received my ruler. Saw several chats on the pattern Spicy Spiral. Would like to know if there is any quirks making this pattern ? Do I need to take some asprin before starting? Please let me know how you made out with yours.
    Thanks

A shop owner in Lancester told me I must be crazy when I told her I was looking for the pattern and ruler. She told me that that pattern for the spiral table runner would be very hard to do. I told her the girls on the forum told everyone that it was easy......I would also like to hear some more comments on the ease of this tablerunner...........Michele

The hardest part, truly, is cutting your wedges. Just take your time, be sure that when you cut across the top of the ruler, your cuts don't extend past the edges of the ruler (which can be tricky, if you are using a larger rotary cutter as the top is kind of small), and you will be fine.

Don't try to rush through thinking that you can guess what is next. Follow the pattern carefully and one step at a time.

I've had a lot of positive comments on the one I made, and as soon as I get caught up on some other things I will definitely be making more.

Also, there are lots of people here who have done them, so if you do get stuck, post your question and I'm sure you'll have lots of help.

She kind of scared me, but I know I can come here and get the help I need.........You guys are the best...........Michele

Blog Entries
    I've just ordered one of these rulers. I found it on ebay at a reasonable price - the best part was how reasonable the shipping cost was.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by emt2004
    A shop owner in Lancester told me I must be crazy when I told her I was looking for the pattern and ruler. She told me that that pattern for the spiral table runner would be very hard to do. I told her the girls on the forum told everyone that it was easy......I would also like to hear some more comments on the ease of this tablerunner...........Michele
    I think this shop owner is crazy. It is easy, just take your time and don't rush.

Quote Originally Posted by bearhugs
    Just received my ruler. Saw several chats on the pattern Spicy Spiral. Would like to know if there is any quirks making this pattern ? Do I need to take some asprin before starting? Please let me know how you made out with yours.
    Thanks
    Is your ruler the 9 or 14" for this spiral pattern?

Thanks,

You need the 25" ruler.

Make one, for sure!!! I didn't find the pattern that easy to figure out(I have problems unless I am showed something) but once I did figure it out, it is so easy!! I am on my 3rd one and am finding it rather addicting, other than my usual problem of figuring out my fabrics, which I think I will never get good at. AND, you have all these people to help you, if you get stuck!!!! I think now my questions were completely incoherent and yet, yes, the quilting board friends helped me figure it out!

Quote Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
    You need the 25" ruler.
    Thanks so very much!

This is a18" 9degree ruler by Marily Doheny. When cutting do you number each piece? do you starch heavy before cutting.
    Thanks

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think you need the 25" ruler. That is what the pattern states

It might seem confusing at first, but be sure to mark your wedges and lay them out in order. When you sew it together, you will be starting with the smallest pieces so besure to stack your wedges with the larges wedge on the bottom and stack them until you nave the smallest one on the top. It will tell you that in the instruction. It is one of those patterns where after you have made the first one, then the next one will be a lot easier. Good luck and have fun. Mine took me 3 days to make. Huggies, Fay

I am in the process of cutting my strips out...figuring out the fabrics to use was difficult for me, as I am trying to use what I have in stash....if it turns out well, then I am going to buy some fats that match!!!

MY RULER IS A 10 DEGREE, 25 INCH WEDGE...

Thank you all. I am jumping in on this tomorrow. I will take a picture if all goes well.. thaks again and happy hugs

Sounds like we need a tutorial on this one for sure....so you wonderful people that are making this as soon as you perfect them,,,,,pleeeeeeeze show us how!!!

Good idea, I am having a time with this one!!!

Hi! I just bought the 25" 9 degree ruler and in the store it said to purchase 6 fabrics 1/2 yard each. I got home and here the pattern I had off the internet says I need 4 fabrics 3/4 yard each! I really want to use the material I purchased. What should I do now??

Quote Originally Posted by chartwig
    Hi! I just bought the 25" 9 degree ruler and in the store it said to purchase 6 fabrics 1/2 yard each. I got home and here the pattern I had off the internet says I need 4 fabrics 3/4 yard each! I really want to use the material I purchased. What should I do now??

:-D What pattern are you planning to make? If it is one of the patterns on the back of the ruler, just follow thier instructions, but the circles need to have 10 wedges in each quarer of a circle so that is 40 wedges all together . So you fabric will need to be at least 54" wide. Other wise you will be making extra stradas. Huggies, Fay

I was planning on making the Quick Spiral Quilt Christmas Tree Skirt from favecrafts.com. Then we I got home, I realized that one only had 4 fabrics and it was 3/4 yard each and I bought 6 fabrics at 1/2 yard each. On the the wedge ruler brochure it says the instructions are on the back for the Dropped Spiral, but I don't see them. The fabric was expensive plus I'm an hour away from where I purchased the fabric, so I don't want to experiment.

Ok for the 9 degree 25" ruler you need the 4 colors of fabrics, first you cut 8 strips of each color 2 3/4" x width of fabric.. All strips are the same width for each color. You will be cutting 10 wedges after your stradas are cut and sewn. Be sure to mark the colors A, B ,C D. Next lay out your colors accoring to the direction and then make your stradas. Press your stradas before you start cutting all of your wedges. Then you press your stradas , pressing strada 1 upwards and strada 2 downwards and such . It should tell you that in the instructions. After you have that done then you begin cutting your wedges and mark thos also. After you cut the wedges, lay them out so you can see how the colors will be going. This can be frustrating so you will need to lay them out and get the right pattrn. After that, them you can start sewing the wedges together with a 1/4" seam and sew two at a time and then sew those together until you have 10 wedges sewn together. Then you lay that back down and start on the next 10 and do the same until they are all sewn together. Keep doing that until you are ready to sew each group of strips together. Be sure to lay them back down to make sure the pattern is going to way you want it to go. Now when you are satisfied with it then sew the first two quarter of the circle together, you will now have a half of a circle. Then do the same for the last two. Now you wuill have 2 half circles. Now you are ready to sew those together , but if you are making a tree skirt, then you leave one side open . Now you will have a circle sewn together with one side open. If you are not making a tree skirt, then you sew the two halves together to make a big circle. There will be a hole on the center and that is where you will applique' a 6" circle on it. If making a tree skirt, there is no need to put a 6" circle in the center as that will be the part that goes around the tree. Good luck, Huggies, Fay... I'm explaining this fron the same pattern that is in the book Quilts Without Corners. I have the pattern for the 9 degree ruler and the 10 degree ruler. This is for the 9 degree ruler. Huggies, Fay

I understand how to make the skirt, however, I purchased 6 fabrics at 1/2 yard each and was wondering how to convert it to make it work.