Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 9 patch question >
  • 9 patch question

• 9 patch question

Old 03-12-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
    I made a 9 patch with sashing as a sudoku quilt once for a friend who is into those puzzles - didn't tell her what it was but hid the word 'sudoku' in the quilting. She finally worked it out after lots of hints from me! LOL

Here's the link if you want to see http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-27464-1.htm
    I went to look at the quilt and I think you must like Soduko also, because a casual glance seemed to show a different place for each block .. which was no easy feat, considering, you couldn't just strip piece it .... GOOD JOB! <wave>
    Nine patches are really limited by imagination or knowledge - - for example: There are no rules that say a 9-patch has to be divided equally in all nine segments (which is where churn dash or barn door come from) ... nor, is there a rule that says throughout the whole quilt every nine patch has to be the same color way ... nor does the simple 9-patch mean that you can't put nine 9-patches together to create a new nine patch ...
    the premise to your question is quite a challenge as I get to thinking on it <wave>
    Old 03-12-2010, 07:38 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Yes Omak, each fabric has it's own place in each block, column and row. My DH does sudoku and I took one of his completed grids and asigned each fabric a number then worked from that. Not difficult really, just a matter of keeping track of the numbered squares!

And yes, I love those 9 patches made into 9 patches that you describe - I'll have to make one of those someday! wave back!
    Old 03-12-2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
    Yes Omak, each fabric has it's own place in each block, column and row. My DH does sudoku and I took one of his completed grids and asigned each fabric a number then worked from that. Not difficult really, just a matter of keeping track of the numbered squares!

And yes, I love those 9 patches made into 9 patches that you describe - I'll have to make one of those someday! wave back!
    OR! How about a nine patch that has a themed fabric at the 12, 3, 6, 9 postitions with a nine patch in the corners and center?
    I have to admit that I never considered the nine patch all that challenging, but now that I am thinking on it <g> okay, we now know I have crossed over to the obsessive part of the brain ... I had best get back to work!<wave>
    Old 03-12-2010, 07:55 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Oh the possibilities, now Omak is on the case! LOL Go work before you add oodles of stuff to my bucket list!