Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
AAARRRGGGGGG!!!!! >

AAARRRGGGGGG!!!!!

AAARRRGGGGGG!!!!!

Old 07-28-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
How on earth do you do this type of binding without cutting the stupid backing fabric????
!
I do this a lot on my quilts, but I still hand sew them down. But to answer your question on "HOW", flip the quilt so the front side is down. pull he backing away from the side of the quilt, trim the batting and front like you need to. Then flip it right side up, use a clear marked ruler and trim backing down all sides to the right measurements you need. Remember check twice before cutting to be sure your ruler hasn't moved.

Sorry you a having all this trouble, Take a break and start again later. If you have already cut this to small then do it the way you are more comfortable with and don't fret over it.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:32 PM

I just got my first Downy quilt last week. I have the top done but have yet to sandwich and quilt them (I made a second one from my stash) - I prefer to do binding strips and sew to the front as well. Already dreading doing the binding their way! The quilt from my stash will have binding strips done my way!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Power Poster

Oh. Sorry for the frustration. Take several deep breaths, relax, have patience and practice, practice, practice.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by badger
Joining triangles???????? I know there must be a way to join up six or eight triangle points, but can someone tell me how? I am about to pitch these babies, if I cannot stitch them together. Pleeeeeeease help.
What works for me.... 1+1 till all done 2+2 till all done 4+4 makes the 8 pionts trim xtra point material, sometimes bang w/a soft hammer to flatten center, or leave hollow . :lol: :lol: Throw a flower over it !! :lol: :oops: Don't give up may be a tutorial for it, check out the search button, great tutorial on OBW, same as 6 point triangle.
Good luck Happy Quilting !!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:03 AM

I have used the binding back to the front method and find it to be very easy. My hand sewing really stinks.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 AM

I love binding using the backing. It is the easiest way to do it if your material matches the front of the quilt! I just recently got up the nerve to use my own binding. I guess I didn't do too bad!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:07 AM

I finally finished the quilts last night. Even found the label for the kitted one and got that sewed on. Hmmmmm forgot to throw it in the washer before I came to work. Well, have to wash and dry tonight and hopefully get out in tomorrow's mail
I will NOT try to bind like this again. It is much easier for me to cut the binding strips and sew them on seperately. That method also gives the quilt the double layer of fabric for the binding.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lalaland
The trick to bringing the binding forward is to be sure the back is larger than a front. Here's an excellent tutorial, it's visual so you can print it out.

http://www.lorettaalvarado.com/binding.htm
Thank you for the site. God bless. Penny