Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
about buying new sewing machine in or out of box >

about buying new sewing machine in or out of box

about buying new sewing machine in or out of box

Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 PM

Default about buying new sewing machine in or out of box

In regard to buying a new sewing machine and wanting one in a box I would like to comment. I was a quilt and sewing machine shop owner for 25 years. In business it was recommended from the sewing machine companies that I worked with, to take machines out of the box and check them. Do what I always referred to as "sew them in" to make sure everything was in good working order. Sometime in shipping they can be dropped. If any fine tuning adjustments were necessary it was done by service department. As a shop owner I wanted the customer that came in to be able to try a machine that was in "take home ready to go" condition that they deserved. The customer could then have their machine put back in the box or taken as it was with case or cover that came with machine according to their preference. When that machine left our store I felt confident and sure that the customer was buying and receiving a machine in good working condition. Also the warranty was the same whether in the box or not. Then if customer had a problem knew it was simply to help with good instruction and have them come in for class. And also be sure to cover any concern they had.
I can not speak for every dealer, only our shop policy.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:42 PM

Right...but the machine didn't sit for a month on a table in the store, and be used by 30-40 people and sold as new?

Any store (reputable) in my area has demo machines that are sold as such. They are set up and are floor models. Opening the box with the customer sitting there to watch , test sew and give some direction when the sale is done, is different that a machine that has been used as a demo machine. If I want a demo machine, I expect a discount.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:05 PM

When purchasing my new machine . It had been placed on the side to show how to thread etc it was then placed in the box for me to take home. It was a wonderful service being ready for me and I felt important.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:48 AM
Power Poster

all of the machines at the dealer's shop I go to are removed from the *shipping carton-outer box* and a 'stitch-out' is done- the machine is checked out before being sold-like elaine708 stated- then when you purchase the machine you can take it with it's 'carrying case' and leave the box behind- so you have one less thing to dispose of- or clutter up a storage area. I would imagine anyone who felt they needed to have that cardboard box could request it- I thought it was great to not have to deal with it- take it to the recycle center after I got my machine home. dealers will **should** let you know if your machine is a display model or a new machine they have done a check on- much better than a big box store where you buy the machine in the box- get it home to find it doesn't work & deal with months of hassles.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:39 AM

I bought a new machine last May. It was a floor model, but the owner was very specific to take the machine apart to show how many stitches had been made on the machine. None! It was there just for people to look at and it had sat there for at least 3-4 months because I remember seeing it sitting there and showing it to DH, then went back later to get it. When I did purchase the machine we were given the box but we had requested that since we were driving a long distance with the machine.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:53 AM

I bought a floor model at an amazing discount off of MSRP. Paid CASH, no trade in. NO PROBLEMS ! my goal was to get the machine I wanted at a great price from a reputable dealer. DONE and happy for it.

my experience in actually using a machine at the dealer for test runs is minimal. No dealer has offered or given free reign to sew on their machines without one of the staff there to oversee the test run. Fine with me. Until the machine is mine, it is theirs.

Good info Elaine! It makes sense to me.

sandy
Old 03-13-2014, 04:27 AM

My Viking was new in the box and not taken out prior to me getting it home. I have purchased demo's before and was always given a warranty and told exactly how many hours were on the machine. I would expect a discount if buying a used machine. We always discounted our floor models no matter how much sewing was done on them.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:34 AM

My Bernina 820 was in the box. I guess I assumed they had checked it over before I took it home. Before I left the dealer, they demonstrated some features on a demo machine. It was nice to have the box with the foam to put it in when I took it back for a maintenance visit.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 AM

When I have bought new machines, my dealer tests it out before I take it home. He makes sure everything is working fine for me. I appreciate the extra care and service.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:10 AM

I don't mind if the machine is taken out for me to test once I decide to buy it, but I'm not going to buy a machine that's been sitting out for months and pay full price for it, regardless of the warranty. Tomorrow I will pick up the first truly new machine I've ever bought - everything else has been used or a classroom machine (I bought a Janome last year that was used at the Modern Quilt Show for classes), and I had NO problem doing that, but then again, I got a great discount each time. I would NOT buy a machine at full price that I didn't personally see unpacked and checked out in my presence. Call me crazy, but when I'm spending several thousand dollars on a machine, I expect the price to reflect the status of the machine.