Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? about digital flammability >

? about digital flammability

? about digital flammability

Old 08-15-2023, 03:52 PM

Default ? about digital flammability

This may sound kind of stupid, but I have a couple of questions about making baked potato and tortilla warmer bags with digitally printed fabrics. Has anyone heard if there is any difference in the flammability of digital inks versus the dyes used in screen printed and woven fabrics? Is there any taste transferred to the food when they are heated?
Old 08-15-2023, 05:03 PM

Interesting question! Wonder how you find out for sure.
Old 08-15-2023, 08:32 PM
dkq

Default I think I would worry more about toxins than taste.

Possibly the same thing ;-) Maybe if the fabric is washed first it wouldn’t be a problem.

Last edited by dkq; 08-15-2023 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-16-2023, 05:40 AM

I've heard too many horror stories about the potato bags for the microwave exploding or catching fire so I don't use them at all. My sister used them in the past and had no problems. After washing my potatoes, I leave them wet and wrap them in a paper towel and put them into the microwave. The moisture keeps them from drying out and getting all wrinkly.
Old 08-16-2023, 01:16 PM

pattern and design . com has some info on fabrics and microwave.
metallics are a not in microwaves. not sure about digital inks...
Old 08-17-2023, 04:21 AM

Fabric is not meant to be microwave cookware. I warm tortillas 30 seconds at a time in their warmer. I do not bake with fabric.
Old 08-17-2023, 02:49 PM

"I think I would worry more about toxins than taste." Dkq, considering the additives and scents in many detergents, I think I would still be worried after the thing was washed.

My niece found out the hard way, that any tiny speck of food or grease on one of those 'supposedly' safe microwave bowl caddies, can cause a fire. If I make any for gifts, I always include a note saying that it should not be considered to be microwave safe and should be used only after the food has been removed from the microwave.
Old 08-17-2023, 08:01 PM

The reason that I asked the original question was because people don't follow the wrtten directions that they are given and I want to be better informed about something I make or give as a gift. It is common knowledge you shouldn't piace bowl or plate cozies in the microwave; potato and tortilla bags will scorch or start on fire if they aren't clean; and potholders will burn if the pan is too hot; but that doesn't mean that people will follow those guidelines. My biggest concern was the use of ink on the digital prints as ink and dye are very different products. After I posted my original question, I contacted a couple of fabric retailers and a fabric manufacturer who could not tell me if dgital prints are more flammable or give off toxins. As a result I have made the personal decision to not use any digital fabrics when I make anything that might come in contact with food, heat or children. I hope that I am being overly cautious and will be proved wrong, as I am afraid that digital prints are all that will be available in the future, but until we have more experience with them, I'm going to be careful.
Old 08-17-2023, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by SueZQ from MN View Post
The reason that I asked the original question was because people don't follow the wrtten directions that they are given and I want to be better informed about something I make or give as a gift. It is common knowledge you shouldn't piace bowl or plate cozies in the microwave; potato and tortilla bags will scorch or start on fire if they aren't clean; and potholders will burn if the pan is too hot; but that doesn't mean that people will follow those guidelines. My biggest concern was the use of ink on the digital prints as ink and dye are very different products. After I posted my original question, I contacted a couple of fabric retailers and a fabric manufacturer who could not tell me if dgital prints are more flammable or give off toxins. As a result I have made the personal decision to not use any digital fabrics when I make anything that might come in contact with food, heat or children. I hope that I am being overly cautious and will be proved wrong, as I am afraid that digital prints are all that will be available in the future, but until we have more experience with them, I'm going to be careful.
a very confusing time we are living in, but I think you have a good plan.