Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? about half square triangles >

? about half square triangles

? about half square triangles

Old 05-21-2014, 03:57 AM

I always make my half square triangles by making the two squares of fabric that I'm using 1" larger than my finished square will be and then trim it down. This method you draw a line from corner to corner and sew 1/4" on either side of the line and then cut on the line. When you open up these two pieces you have two half square triangle squares that need to be trimmed to the right size. Usually it's just shaving a bit off each edge. There are two ways I trim. One is to open the square up and press it. Then I use a square up ruler and put the 45 degree line on the seam line and the measurement line of how big the finished square will be near the edge and trim accordingly. Quilt in a Day also has a ruler to trim half square triangles. With this ruler you don't press your square open first but rather put the ruler marking along the seam line and trim the two raw edges. With this ruler you are only making two cuts instead of 4 with a square up ruler and it is easier to understand the markings. It is a square ruler with many different size triangle markings. A good investment.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:18 AM

Thank you Everyone,
I now know what I was doing wrong...I wasn't using the 45 degree line on the seam line but just cutting around the 4 sides to even them up. I am such a dodo bird at times.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:51 AM

If you are hand sewing you won't want to be trimming because you will cut the seam.....
Old 05-22-2014, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by eyes View Post
I am scratching my head over hand sewing a simple triangle from a square. I understand the steps but my problem is the points are always to close to the edge. Shouldn't they be 1/4" away or a little more? Mine are so close that it is impossible joining the next block without cutting off the tip. It's driving me buggy.
Maybe I should read more on the oversized triangles but I get so frustrated my brain shuts off.
Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

Just saw saw a demonstration on a half square ruler yesterday. Patti Nethery makes rulerrevolution.com makes accurate product in several sizes with multiples at one time. Expensive but not paper piecing and accurate.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:28 AM

he current quilt that I am making required 136 HST- UGH!!!!! But the direction said to make them by placing 2 4" squares together and sewing 1/4" around the entire edge and cut each way on the diaginol. i had never tried this way but it actuall worked out great!!! I got 4 really good 2 1/2" HST from each square. This was much easier that marking and sewing 2 lines on each square especially when doing so many HST I am sure that there is a chart or formula to determine how big to make the squares for a certain finished size of HST .
Old 05-22-2014, 04:38 AM

Okay, it's not even 6am and I've learned enough to call it quits for the day!

auntpiggylpn: What a great idea! I'm looking for a glass shop and making use of (stealing) your idea.

bigsister63: Another great idea. I had not heard this one before and I will definitely be trying in. By the way - 136 HST? Are you a glutton for punishment or what?!
Old 05-22-2014, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
he current quilt that I am making required 136 HST- UGH!!!!! But the direction said to make them by placing 2 4" squares together and sewing 1/4" around the entire edge and cut each way on the diaginol. i had never tried this way but it actuall worked out great!!! I got 4 really good 2 1/2" HST from each square. This was much easier that marking and sewing 2 lines on each square especially when doing so many HST I am sure that there is a chart or formula to determine how big to make the squares for a certain finished size of HST .
Just a reminder to those using this method of making HST, make sure you PRESS and not IRON them because after you cut them you will have all bias edges, and they will stretch.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:29 AM

I always size my triangle squares large then use a master template or square ruler to "true up" them. For intricate blocks like my fave maple leaf block, I use the acrylic templates that Marti Mechelle sells, no guessing about seam lines and how to place the pieces together. Just say'n.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
If you are making half square triangles (HST), then the seam goes right to the corner. When you trim them down, you put the 45 degree line of your ruler right on the seam, so you preserve the point.
Here is one of many you tube videos that shows making HSTs a bit larger, then trimming;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQq-5p8RCS8
Yes, it is VERY IMPORTANT to put the seam on the diagonal line. If you don't you WILL lose your points.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:10 AM

Bigsister63, that is great. I don't have too much trouble making my points work out in my quilt pattern; it is just that I don't get anal about points meeting in the final analysis, because your quilting will cover (or hide it, as the case may be) in the long run--especially if you have a LA quilter who is as good as my son.....

This "sew all around the square" sounds wonderful--I have always just squared up mine after I pressed them, and then putting them into my quilt, didn't have too much problem making them work out right. But sometimes I did have a l/8" variation--and that's acceptable in most cases. I haven't put any of my work into a judged quilt yet.

Last edited by oldtnquiltinglady; 05-22-2014 at 08:13 AM. Reason: add a sentence about points