Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
about hand quilting.. >

about hand quilting..

about hand quilting..

Old 03-20-2011, 05:09 PM

i quilt using a floor frame - about 24x36. It gives me the freedom to put one hand under the quilt and then i hold the needle in the other hand. I've got to have a thimble - i use a leather thimble w/ a metal coin. Never have managed to get used to a metal thimble like granny used.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 PM

I can hand quilt in any direction towards me, away from me and sideways and I do it on the four boards frame setup in my basement.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:57 PM

I use a floor frame & lap quilt, no hoop.
I pretty much do as CloverPatch & Pamela Artman do.
I just find a comfy zone.
:-) :-)
Old 03-20-2011, 06:58 PM

I am going to follow this thread closely. Thanks for asking the question. Now I don't have to. I am going to try hand quilting while I'm at Mayo. I thought that I would do some portable quilting this time. There's alot of hurry up to appt. & then wait. I figured that hand quilting would fill the wait time.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:21 PM

I just love all kinds of hand work, knitting, crocheting, embroidery hand piecing, and quilting. Way back when Simply Quilts was on TLC, they were taking about quilting and Alex said that it was good to learn to quilt with your thumb. Your thumb has the most muscles in it,or at least the most strength. So I decided I'd thumb quilt. I HATE thimbles and use one only when I quilt. I use those black leather ones that have a little metal tip in them, but don't use the tip as I use the flat part of my thumb. I quilt away from myself, as is the case when thumb quilting. I also use one of those yellow plastic and metal Needle Pullers to pull the tip of my needle through the fabric. And I use a smaller hoop as it's more comfortable for me than a large one.
I think the theory of thumb quilting is so you can quilt toward you with your fingers, and away from yourself with the thumb and not have to turn your work as much. Does this help or give anyone new ideas of how to quilt?
Janis
Old 03-21-2011, 01:08 AM

I learned to hand quilt by using the Aunt Becky method from You Tube video. There is also a lady from Australia called Thimblelady who says your fingers will not hurt with her method. You can google up Thimblelady or go to You Tube and take a look. I have seen her thimbles at quilt shows and also her books.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:48 AM

I quilt left handed with my thumb and right handed with my middle finger. I found that if I used my regular leather thimble on my thumb all I had to do to make it fit well is cut the length shorter.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:55 AM

I love to hand quilt...it is very relaxing for me. I have a longarm quilting machine, which I also LOVE, but I keep a hand quilting project for tv at night to work on and sit with DH. I quilt without a hoop and quilt towards myself. I tried the hoops, but never could get the right hold on it.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dgreen
I was reading another post by all the people who love hand quilting. I was very surprised at the number of people who say it is relaxing. I did some hand quilting and it was exhausting. My right hand became so cramped I don't know how anyone could enjoy it. Could some of you hand quilters give some tips, or maybe even post a few pics on how you actually hold the needle and push it. Do you make your stitches sideways (needle quilting parallel to your body), or toward you (the direction a sewing machine would be sewing)? Would really like some teaching. Thanks!
Am left handed and work any way the stencil dictates, use thimble on thumb to push needle through, rock needle in several times before pulling through. Don't be aggresive---relax and don't hump shoulders over work.