Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
about machine needles >

about machine needles

about machine needles

Old 12-06-2023, 04:58 PM

Default about machine needles

I'm doing a minor alteration on a denim garment for my sister (5" total). I thought I had read that I might need a "sharp" needle, as there are 8 layers of fabric in places. I stopped at my local chain fabric store to pick up some "sharp" machine needles today. They didn't have any "sharps", but they had "denim" needles (Schmetz). Four needles for $9.95.

I need to know more about Needles. Any suggestions for good information?

bkay
Old 12-06-2023, 05:51 PM

Denim needles are extra strong to handle going thru the thickness
Old 12-06-2023, 06:27 PM

there are even some machines that have a "jeans" foot and if you use a "jeans" needle it works well.
Old 12-06-2023, 07:27 PM

I never thought I'd be giving advice on this topic,, but schmetz "denim" needles and a juki TL2010Q machine handled my denim alterations with no problem.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:01 AM

Just Google organ how to choose a sewing machine needle, lots of charts and index links come up. I use excusively organ needles, they are the best. Superior Threads has information on their site. They sell exclusively organ needles. almost all of our domestic machines come with an organ needle in them. Janome has their name on their needle packaging, but they too, are organ. I have learned, not to use a universal needle, match your needle to your thread and the type of fabric. Obviously, a ballpoint stretch needle works for knits...etc. I use a Microtex 90/14 for free motion quilting. The 90/14 size works best for me...it has a larger eye.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:45 AM

Hi!
As we know not all sewing machine needles are the same. Some needles are designed to work with specific fabrics, while others are designed to work with specific machines. This leads to the question, are sewing machine needles universal? Here, we will explore the world of sewing machine needles.
Cheers
Old 12-07-2023, 07:05 AM

Thanks so much for all the information. I think I'll learn something now.

bkay
Old 12-08-2023, 12:40 AM

I love Superior's site, it's comprehensive and very informative.
Old 12-08-2023, 03:43 AM

We've gotten a bit spoiled in today's age, as most domestic machines all take the same size of needle. Until after WW2, and most manufacturing moving to Japan (and incidentally, going with the size Singer used for needles) most manufacturers had a specific size of needle for their machine. The interesting part is that Singer decided to go with the needle more commonly used in Eurpopean machines. And as Singer took market share, more companies started going with "Singer" size needles on later machines made in the US.

Nowdays, when most people say "size" they are referring to diameter or tip point. "Universal" typically refers to tip point, meaning it's good for most fabrics. It will fit most modern domestic machines too, but that is because they all take the same size to start with. My LA and industrial Juki both takes different sized needles than the domestic machines.

I have a large collection of vintage machines. I think I have 10-15 different needle sizes to accommodate them.