Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? About quilting stitches >

? About quilting stitches

? About quilting stitches

Old 04-25-2012, 05:25 AM

Never tried it, but can't wait to see pic of your quilt! Good luck!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:01 AM

You will get the hang of it...takes practice but you will catch on quickly. Start with a few easy potholder, table runner...then a baby quilt, in no time you will be doing lap quilts and more...Good Luck! I love the supreme slider and keep my dogfeeds up. If you have troubles with thread breaking...try a different brand. I use Gutterman 100 percent cotton, because I want the thread to shrink ait when washing it. When you wash your quilt all the tiny mistakes you make are hidden. Have fun! Oh...and gloves, its amazing how much easier it is when using gloves to FMQ.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
You will get the hang of it...takes practice but you will catch on quickly. Start with a few easy potholder, table runner...then a baby quilt, in no time you will be doing lap quilts and more...Good Luck! I love the supreme slider and keep my dogfeeds up. If you have troubles with thread breaking...try a different brand. I use Gutterman 100 percent cotton, because I want the thread to shrink ait when washing it. When you wash your quilt all the tiny mistakes you make are hidden. Have fun! Oh...and gloves, its amazing how much easier it is when using gloves to FMQ.
What is a supreme slider? Haven't heard that term before. DH says it sounds like a good sandwich. hehehe
Old 04-26-2012, 08:08 AM

I've been doing FMQ for many years but nothing fancy very plain and simple. I like making squiggly lines or some loop de loops......I said simple.....also if you can control the speed of your sewing. My machine has 3 levels of speed and for quilting any style a medium speed works best......
Old 04-26-2012, 08:25 AM

Your stitch length is determined by how fast or slow you move the quilt under the needle on the machine. It's the most difficult part of free motion on a home machine...and actually if you run a longarm machine in manual mode...you also have to learn how fast/slow to move the machine to get consistantly sized stitches.

It takes some practice, so allow yourself the time to get better, in the mean time...enjoy what you do produce...6 months from now, you can compare the newest quilting with the first...and see the improvement.

Originally Posted by meg-2 View Post
I am wanting to machine quilt (free motion). In practicing for the first time...I cannot figure out how to control the stitch witdth. Do I need to learn how to control this? My machine settings...I have tried all of them...result in one stitch width.

On another note, I have finished my first quilt and as soon as I figure out how I will post a picture, if ya'all promise not to enlarge it to the point that you can see all the goofs. But it was fun and I am hooked.

To all who read this have a great day whatever day you read this.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 AM

I really love FMQ but find it my most challenging thing to learn yet. I may do great one day but my rhythm might be off the next. A big problem seems to be staying constant with my speed & trying to avoid sudden changes in directions ending up with points.

Then there is the matter of tension. No matter how much I adjust it I end up with a color showing up when I have to use one color on top & another in the bobbin. I've learned so much from this QB though that I am determined to get better.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:41 PM

Like the information here, I have tried, but not very good yet. There is hope. thanks for the help. and good luck.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:46 AM

Completely all even stitches indicate a professional quilting. For the handmade look you do not want all your stitches even. There is talk in the works by professional quilters about the use of Computerized even stitch machines and those that are done by hands on sewers and hand stitching. A Professional Computerized Machine is a production machine like the factories use in Japan or China to send quilts here. The hands-on-quiltis is most desired by those that buy quilts. The quilt show catagories are going to reflect this and so are the awards.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:34 AM

Have fun learning to machine quilt. Please post a photo of your quilt when it is finished.

Norma
Old 04-27-2012, 03:23 PM

I'm taking a course called Beyond Basic Machine Quilting at craftsy.com. It is an amazing course--so well planned and it steps you through all the information and practice. I would very highly recommend it.