Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
?? about Stitch and Tear stabilizer >

?? about Stitch and Tear stabilizer

?? about Stitch and Tear stabilizer

Old 03-14-2016, 01:25 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 18
Default ?? about Stitch and Tear stabilizer

Hello

I'm making a quilt that has 30 appliqued squares. Around each applique I am using a zig zag stitch that is not quite a satin stitch and stabilizing with stitch and tear. I removed some of the stitch and tear and that brings me to my question ..

There are tiny, tiny pieces still in my zig zag seams. I don't want to pull to hard and ruin the stitching. Will itsy, bitsy pieces ruin the quilt if it is washed or ruin in any other way??

Thank you for any help.
GoSew is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 01:28 PM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Victorian Sweatshop Forum
Posts: 4,096
Default

I use it sometimes for machine embroidery. The little tiny bits will wash out.

Cari
Cari-in-Oly is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 01:31 PM
  #3  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,276
Default

I use tear away stabilizer for machine embroidery. You tear away the excess, and the product left under the stitching remains. Some versions will wash out, some are permanent. Check the packaging. I have laundered both types and it seems fine, however, it's entirely covered by the embroidery. I think I would make a sample square and wash it & see how it goes.
PaperPrincess is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 01:32 PM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 18
Default

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I use it sometimes for machine embroidery. The little tiny bits will wash out.

Cari
Thank you so much for this info - and so fast too!!

I didn't want to start crying yet if I had to re-do my individually designed squares!!
GoSew is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 01:33 PM
  #5  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,131
Default

I would not wash the top without it first being quilted. I would try your best to get out what you can using tweezers. Maybe try a washable stabilizer that will dissolved when you wash the quilt??
ManiacQuilter2 is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 01:34 PM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 18
Default

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I use tear away stabilizer for machine embroidery. You tear away the excess, and the product left under the stitching remains. Some versions will wash out, some are permanent. Check the packaging. I have laundered both types and it seems fine, however, it's entirely covered by the embroidery. I think I would make a sample square and wash it & see how it goes.

That's a good idea. I'll wash a small sample. The pieces are tiny and I used a pair of tweezers to get most of it out but some of it is stubborn.
GoSew is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 01:35 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 18
Default

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I would not wash the top without it first being quilted. I would try your best to get out what you can using tweezers. Maybe try a washable stabilizer that will dissolved when you wash the quilt??
Is there a brand of wash away stabilizer that you recommend? I never thought of that because this is something I don't often do.
GoSew is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 03:23 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Peotone IL
Posts: 2,802
Default

I've been using Pellon Stick-and-Wash-Away. I trim away as much of it as I can and just let what's left under the stitches be washed out.
gramajo is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 03:56 PM
  #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 18
Default

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
I've been using Pellon Stick-and-Wash-Away. I trim away as much of it as I can and just let what's left under the stitches be washed out.
I'll look for this thank you. I have only done about 10 out of 30 blocks so hopefully not too late to switch to a washable stabilizer

Quilting board help is the best!!
GoSew is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 04:29 PM
  #10  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,018
Default

I don't know why you need a stabilizer for machine appliqué........ But maybe try tissue paper or those sheets that grocery stores use .......very easily torn away.......
Geri B is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jillmc
Main
5
04-26-2015 04:46 AM
fatquarters
Main
3
07-15-2012 02:17 PM
Sewflower
Main
9
02-28-2012 07:02 PM
RatherB Quilting
Main
13
06-24-2010 10:33 PM
kluedesigns
Main
13
07-13-2009 07:24 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter