Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? about using walking foot for the first time! >

? about using walking foot for the first time!

? about using walking foot for the first time!

Old 06-16-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by insecurity
I you start in a spot that doesn't go to the edge of your quilt, you need to secure the stitches-backstitch, lock stitch, etc..and don't sew fast. The wlking foot does't go very fast, just be patient. You will have a great time! NEXt-Free Motion!
Thanks for the hint about not going fast. I get nervous and tend to put the pedal to the metal!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:48 AM

Here's what I did on a baby quilt.
I pulled up the bobbin thread by lowering my needle once and bringing it back up with my 'needle up/down button'.
I went two stitches forward and two back and then sewed.
After I quilted the entire thing, I sat in front of the tv and buried the long threads into the quilt and snipped the ends.
Is this the correct/best way? Don't know - it's what I did for a baby flannel quilt that was not going to be judged...just loved.

I agree to take your time using the walking foot...let it do the work.

Check the back occasionally.

I reminded myself (and sometimes out loud) that I was quilting faster than hand sewing...so relax and enjoy the process!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
I pulled up the bobbin thread by lowering my needle once and bringing it back up with my 'needle up/down button'.
After I quilted the entire thing, I sat in front of the tv and buried the long threads into the quilt and snipped the ends.
Is this the correct/best way? Don't know - it's what I did for a baby flannel quilt that was not going to be judged...just loved.

I think I will print this out and put it beside my machine!! Great hints! Thanks!!

I reminded myself (and sometimes out loud) that I was quilting faster than hand sewing...so relax and enjoy the process!
I will print this out and put it beside my sewing machine. Great hints. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Joeysnana
Originally Posted by quiltinghere

I think I will print this out and put it beside my machine!! Great hints! Thanks!!

I will print this out and put it beside my sewing machine. Great hints. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:21 AM

Oops, sorry for "empty" reply!

Does your Brother have the option to use the peddle or the buttons instead? You can set the speed for using the button. I find that even if I use the peddle and the speed is set slow then the machine will still stitch only up to the set speed with the peddle! (I've done the "panic" stitching too many times also!)
Old 06-16-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie

Does your Brother have the option to use the peddle or the buttons instead? You can set the speed for using the button. I find that even if I use the peddle and the speed is set slow then the machine will still stitch only up to the set speed with the peddle! (I've done the "panic" stitching too many times also!)
Yes, my machine has both the pedal and the button to control the speed. So are you saying that if I set the speed for "slow", then the pedal won't exceed that speed? If so, that is great!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Joeysnana
Originally Posted by Kitsie

Yes, my machine has both the pedal and the button to control the speed. So are you saying that if I set the speed for "slow", then the pedal won't exceed that speed? If so, that is great!
My XR-7700 does. Found that out when I was trying to go faster but when I was arranging the quilt my hand accidentally moved the lever to the left! Just try on a scrap.