Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Access to quilt shops >

Access to quilt shops

Access to quilt shops

Old 01-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

Three Joann's and 1 quilt shop
Old 01-18-2011, 07:59 PM

There is are a couple nice shops about 20 min from my house, in opposite directions, though! There is also a JoAnn's about 20 mins away in another direction. I tend to go to the one shop that is right behind my son's house. Not only do I get to see him and/or his dog if they're home, but I just like the shop better.
We've some close due to ecomonic reasons lately, which is sad. They weren't as close to me, but worth the drive once in a a while. Have very many closed near anyone else?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:14 PM

Have 1 Wal Mart poor fabric dept. they are fasing out. JoAnn's is 2 hr (one way) drive So. anything more is a 3 1/2 hr (one way) trip East When I Shop for fabric get all I need for a project because I don't get to the shops on a regular basis.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:21 PM

I live in Houston, TX so am blessed with a jillion I think. There are 5 in just a few miles but the 30 mile radius there may be 30 or so. maybe more. There are 3 near me that are in the top 10 in the US so like I say, very fortunate.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:42 PM

We're pretty lucky here in southern WV - we have quite a few LQS witin 30 - 50 miles - Fantastic one in Barboursville seems to specialize in period and floral materials - love but don't get down there very often. We have 1 local a WM and a Joanns in Charleston which makes life pretty good but you really appreciate the wonderful fabrics available when you do get to the LQS that are a little distance away.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by GemState
I am curious about how near/far you quilters are to quilt shops. I believe I live in 'quiltshop heaven'! There are 7 quilt shops within 30 miles of where I live, as well as two Joann's! Each has its own 'personality' and what a range of choices, classes, ideas, etc.! It helps to have some willpower but what an advantage this is.
My closet quilt shop or fabric shop is 90 miles.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:25 PM

[quote=jme]
Originally Posted by raptureready
There's over a dozen within an hour's radius of me, six or 7 within 20 minutes to a half hour. I feel pretty fortunate. I also have one that's about 25 minutes away that has an attached retreat center. Check it out.

http://www.threadsoftimefab.com

It's superb! In fact, I'm going there this Friday for a week long retreat.
oh my word, I'm jealous. I wish we had one of those in Texas. What an incredible idea!!![/quote

If you are talking about a retreat center, Creations in Kerrville has built a new one. If you have made it to Fredericksburg you must go another 20 miles and go there. The shop is my favorite. It is an amazing place. I might be wrong but it seems like I heard they can take groups as small as 3 but I might be wrong.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:29 AM

You are definitely lucky to have access to that many. We have a few shops in the area and just one joann's. Several are 1/2 to 45 minutes. Guess it could be worse. :)
Old 01-19-2011, 01:46 AM

Not sure exactly what qualifies as LQS, but within a 30minute drive I have a Joann, Hancock, and two really great shops (early American decor, old world displays, etc). There are several 2nd hand shops in my area (Goodwill, Catholic Chairity, Salvation Army and Disabled Veterans Shop, these are fantastic sources of cheap fabric)There are two Walmarts near me, but I'm boycotting all their stores since they quit selling fabric on the bold.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:49 AM

I would love it if the LQS was so near, but my husband and kids would live in fear and dread! Everybody shouts NO when I say I want to buy fabric LOL! I live 50 miles away from anything. My parents live in Raleigh though and there are several quilt/fabric stores there. So I try to do at least two or three shops when we are there. Otherwise, I don't get to go too much. There used to be a LQS about two miles from my job, but it closed and I lost my job (no relation). Sigh! I dream of moving to an area with more shopping options and a job that would allow me to enjoy shopping again! Maybe someday!