Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt--is it hard to cut accurate squares using the strip dies? >

Accuquilt--is it hard to cut accurate squares using the strip dies?

Accuquilt--is it hard to cut accurate squares using the strip dies?

Old 12-27-2014, 05:54 AM

I have the GO and many dies.....I like the idea of using the die cutter along with the other tools in my/your arsenal...
If you are going to use the dies for all....I would rather have both the strip and square dies.....less chance of wonky....
Old 12-27-2014, 09:04 AM

Well, after some research, I decided to purchase the Stripology ruler. For my Accuquilt GO, I have only purchased one strip die so far (the 2.5 inch which will be very useful). I also have the hunter star die, log cabin die, the drunkards path die, triangle in a square and a few other shapes. Contemplating buying more strip dies, the cost would add up very quickly and just one strip die costs more than the Stripology ruler. So, after watching the youtube video of this ruler I decided it looks like a good investment and extremely multipurpose.

I noticed she didn't show this, but you could cut your strips, lift ruler, turn your mat around 90 degrees and then replace ruler and cut again for squares, super easy. I noticed she cut her strips, lifted ruler, then turned her strips around and I could see she wasn't really getting them placed straight enough for a good square.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by char7439 View Post
To keep your strip from folding when you cut, I put a piece of parchment paper on the fabric and then the mat. This will keep the fabric from folding. The cut paper strips can be used again. It is the static electricity that causes the folding. This will also keep your cut pieces from sticking to the mat.

I got the new electric Accucut Go for Christmas!!
Wow you must have been a good girl this year..lol I like your idea about the parchment paper, will have to try that..
Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-28-2014, 03:47 AM

There are lots of tutorials online for using AccuQuiltGo strip dies for cutting not only squares but also diamonds, rectangles, etc. I have pieced and pressed two strips together and then placed the strips perpendicular to the cutting lines. After they are cut, they're ready for 4-patches. Do the same with three strips for 9-patches. So fun!
Old 12-28-2014, 04:30 AM

Angelinamaria...yes I would do it the way you describe too...just flip and cut.

Your logic is good about your decision on which item to purchase. That's the fun of gadgets.......or should I say
"helpers"
Old 12-28-2014, 05:28 AM

Ebony Love on YouTube has a fantastic tutorial on marking your dies for accurate cuts. I just got a Go cutter for Christmas and it was purchased second hand so it doesn't have any markings on it like the new strip dies do - even her simple geometric shapes she marks and I can see how that would make cutting more accurate and less wasteful.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:49 AM

I have the square die that cuts 3 1/2 inch squares to finish at 3 inches. I love my Accuquilt.

Susan
Old 12-28-2014, 08:27 AM

Yes, I think it works great and I've even used it to cut strip sets for four or nine patch blocks and they come out perfectly...not wonky that happens to me with a rotary cutter.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:46 AM

I have the Go Baby and several dies and I love it.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:43 AM

just remember like in cutting anything, the grain will make a difference when it comes to accuracy. The only time I had problems was cutting blocks and the grain was off so the measurments were right.