Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt Studio - Good price?? >

Accuquilt Studio - Good price??

Accuquilt Studio - Good price??

Old 09-27-2013, 05:38 AM

Default Accuquilt Studio - Good price??

I went to a garage sale yesterday and saw an Accuquilt Studio Bread and Butter set. This is the machine and about 10 dies. It was in great shape, about 2 years old. The lady was asking $1200 (new it's around $1500). I told her that was more than I was willing to pay. What would be a reasonable amount to expect to pay? I thought I might contact her in a few days and see if it sold and offer her a lesser amount. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:47 AM

I have the Accuquilt Go - purchased it for arount $200, only buy dies when they are no sale - I think she is asking a lot of money for a used piece of equipment.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:31 AM

Would you believe I bought the same set you are considering for $400? The tag said $500 and I asked what the owner was willing to take. She asked if I was OK with $400. The quilt store never got around to using it for the kits they planned to make. Eight of the dies were still shrink wrapped. Even though I have a Go with loads of dies, I couldn't walk away from this deal.

Once you use a Studio cutter, the Go seems like a toy. The Studio is meant for production as it cuts 10 layers with one smooth pass. The Go is useless for strip cutting as it moves around as you are cranking. The Studio weighs 55 pounds so it doesn't move at all and I get 50 2.5" strips with a few easy cranks. The Go dies are cheaper and with an adapter, can be cut using the Studio (still only 6 layers). The Studio dies are made of wood, expensive and heavy. Accuquilt does run sales at 25% off on a regular basis and just had a 40% off sale for Studio dies.

When you contact the seller, ask her what is the lowest she will accept as you don't want to insult her with a low ball price. I would expect she will come down to $1,000 and might go as low as $800.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

I have the studio cutter, it is really awesome, I am not sure what would be a fair price to offer her.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:50 AM

I have the Studio cutter, which was given to me along with more than a dozen dies. I've listed in on Craigslist and offered it to people through quilt guilds for $800 and less with no interest shown at all. I've even seen another on Craigslist, same thing. One woman who was very knowledgeable about the thing offered me $150 and I said no.

The Studio is discontinued, I believe. You can use GO! dies if you have an adapter, which is just another piece of plastic to raise the height of the die.

I'd hold off on that one and maybe ask the woman to call you if she comes to her senses, er, changes her mind about the price.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:59 AM

The Studio is not discontinued. However, Accuquilt has 40% off sales a few times a year on some dies and the cutter. I wouldn't pay more than what I can get it new on sale! I had someone local offer to sell me some of her used Studio dies for 40% off list price. Why would I do that when I can get them new for the same price if I wait for a sale? For me, it would have to be at least 50% off list or more to even consider the purchase.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

I have seen the Studio cutter for sale on the Accuquilt site (just the cutter) for about $400 occasionally. It has probably come down in price considerably since the lady bought hers. As for the dies, it probably depends on which 10 dies go with the cutter. You can easily look them up on the Accuquilt site. My calculations of a fair price would be about $300 for the cutter and about half price for the dies (since you do not have the ability to select which dies you get).
Old 09-27-2013, 05:19 PM

http://www.accuquilt.com/deals/current-deals.html
Old 09-29-2013, 03:34 PM

Thanks for all the replies to my post! I appreciate your comments and suggestions. Think I'll contact her tomorrow and see if she is ready to reduce her original price.