Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt or Studio? >

Accuquilt or Studio?

Accuquilt or Studio?

Old 07-16-2013, 02:54 AM

how to use sizzlix dies on a accuquilt studio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGXKVFx0bMg
Old 07-16-2013, 11:07 AM

I love my Go. Didn't have room or moolah for the Studio. My borders are straight with no bow and the accuracy of the cuts is incredible. A friend and I cut a bunch of 2" squares in no time at all for a quilt. I'd have gone mad doing it manually.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:16 AM

IMHO there is NO comparison between the Studio and the Go die cutters. I went with the Studio because I have room for it and I wanted to be able to cut Jelly Rolls and Charm Packs myself rather than pay out the nose for the store bought. The 2 1/2 inch strip die cuts 5 across and 8 deep, that's a WHOLE Jelly Roll in one swath. And there's only about 1/4 inch waste on edge which is what I would have if I cut them and mine would be bowed, lol. I do have some Go dies and the adapter so I can use the Go dies on my Studio. But it is so much more laborious and it won't cut 8 fabrics deep. I like more product with less effort. When I have leftovers from a quilt project, I just run them through the 2 1/2 die and save them for a strippy quilt or binding on a quilt. Studio WELL worth the investment if you are a dedicated quilter.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:09 AM

ar007tornado - thanks for the input. I was leaning toward the Go, but the Studio is looking like it's worth the expense. My biggest struggle with quilting is accurate cutting, and this will surely solve the problem.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:28 PM

If y'all will forgive a naive question, do these machines work well for fussy-cutting? My "signature" baby quilt is an Eye-Spy that consists of 80 4" (finished size) squares sewn together. The only part I dislike is fussy cutting all those squares. Is that something a die-cut machine (Go, Studio, et al.) does well?
Old 11-16-2013, 02:36 AM

I watched a video on fussy cutting on the Go. I think you could find it with a "search". I hope to be able to do that on my Go after the holidays.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:51 AM
Banned

Time vs waste. That is the question. My time is worth more than the fabric. And there is not much waste. I make crazy quilt blocks out of what is left, braided rugs from the strips, etc etc etc
Old 11-16-2013, 04:56 AM

I have the GO and just cut out the hunter star quilt - 8 layers at a time with no problem. Love my GO!!
Old 11-16-2013, 08:32 AM

I own both (actually I have three studios that I bought to start a business). The Go is very nice if you want it to be portable and really put it away if you don't need it. When I used the Go I pulled it, used it then put it away immediately after the cutting. Now having the Studio you have to have a dedicated table because you can't fold it and it is too heavy to move. BUT at the end each has a budget and a personal purpose for what they buy and how they judge their needs so nothing is better than the other in my opinion.