Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Accuquilt Sunbonnet dies

Blog Entries
    I have done Sue and Sam. Use the straight of the grain. Off grain stretches too muh. I also used a light weight fuse and machine applique.

Quote Originally Posted by charity-crafter
    Quote Originally Posted by LoriEl
    LOL! I thought she died! As in-they were going to discontinue making her. Now I understand.

That reminds me of the Sun sets on Sunbonnet Sue quilt.
    Have you seen it? I think it was made by someone who doesn't like Sunbonnet sue. It's quite creative.

http://www.sundrysites.com/embroidery/sunbonnetsues.htm
    Love it. I've always hated the sunbonnets as way too cutesie.

I'm so sorry for your loss

Quote Originally Posted by LouBert
    I'm so sorry for your loss

:lol: :lol: :thumbup: That made me chuckle.

OK....now that I've stopped laughing so hard at the comments.... I have the Sue die and it's pretty small peices so i recommend that you do the fusible...put fabric on them/iron on before cutting...then u can applique by hand or machine much easier in my experience. Wish i have the Sam die too.
    Yooper 32....u are too much! LOL

Boy, someone doesn't like Sun Bonnet Sue on the embroidery quilt. It did make me laugh. I like SBS and someday will make one out of 30's fabric.

Blog Entries
    Yes, Sunbonnet Sue has been around for a long time! I will be 77 in July and my mother made a SS for me when I was born. She passed it down to me when I had my first daughter and I'm ashamed to say (not appreciating it then) that I cut it unto crib pads as it was "worn" some. I'm still disgusted eith me!

Blog Entries
    Oh, I was so excited. I thought Sun Bonnet Sue died. Oops.

Blog Entries
    oh wow. I totally mis-read that - I love Sunbonnet Sue (I'm actually hosting the swap now!) I can't answer for the accucut shapes. Sorry.

Blog Entries
    I must admit I also thought she had met her demise... and I hope to participate in the swap Jennifer22206 is hosting so I guess I really have no ill feelings towards her... funny how words can be seen so differently

Blog Entries
    Since I'm the new owner of an Accuquilt Go - I KNEW exactly what she was talking about.

I don't have an accuquilt so when I read the title, I thought Sunbonnet Sue died! I thought, Oh, no - but then again, she is really old! :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC
    Count me as another who thought poor Sue was about to take the dirt nap!!
    Dirt nap...now that's funny! I will admit my first thought was "how could she possibly die?"

Count me in as one who was writing eulogies for Sunbonnet Sue. I watch the grain, but that is all. Only machine applique so far and all is right in my world. Poor Sue, Bill would be crushed.

LOL! I thought she died! As in-they were going to discontinue making her. Now I understand.
    I'm glad I am not the only one who drew the wrong conclusion when I read the title, but I thought she was dead - I guess I have been living in FLORIDA too long......

That reminds me of the Sun sets on Sunbonnet Sue quilt.
    Have you seen it? I think it was made by someone who doesn't like Sunbonnet sue. It's quite creative.

http://www.sundrysites.com/embroidery/sunbonnetsues.htm
    Not sure I would make this Sunbonnet for my granddaughter! LOL

sometimes with my applique die I cut the fabric and I cut the fusible. Then I remove the middle of the fusible so that it will only cover about 1/2" around the outer edge. Then I fuse the fabric and the fusible together on a teflon applique sheet.(just in case I don't line it up right.) This eliminates some of the stiffness you get when you use the fusible.Takes a little longer but it depends on the feel I am after.

Quote Originally Posted by JUNEC
    I'm glad I am not the only one who drew the wrong conclusion when I read the title, but I thought she was dead - I guess I have been living in FLORIDA too long......
    I loved the reference to Florida. Our community in FL calls itself "God's Waiting Room"

Jean

Joining the bandwagon on the death of SBS...

There is no seam allowance on those dies to allow for hand turning. However, the sales pitch on these is how easy it is to apply fusible to the wrong side of the fabrics,make your cut and they come off all ready to fuse to the background block. I recently used this method to cut out flowers, stems and leaves to do appliqued borders on a raffle quilt. The cuts are precise and mulitples can be cut (up to 10 layers of fabric). I was very glad that I had the Accuquilt Studio to make the job easier and saved me cutting out tons of pieces to say nothing of all the tracing I would have had to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaF
    There is no seam allowance on those dies to allow for hand turning. However, the sales pitch on these is how easy it is to apply fusible to the wrong side of the fabrics,make your cut and they come off all ready to fuse to the background block. I recently used this method to cut out flowers, stems and leaves to do appliqued borders on a raffle quilt. The cuts are precise and mulitples can be cut (up to 10 layers of fabric). I was very glad that I had the Accuquilt Studio to make the job easier and saved me cutting out tons of pieces to say nothing of all the tracing I would have had to do.
    Thank you for the info. I just purchase the GO and so far I love it. May I ask what the pattern is for the gorgeous quilt you made?
    Many thanks,
    Betty

AnnaF your quilt is beautiful.

The raffle quilt was cut out using several of the dies for 12" blocks that I bought with the Accuquilt Studio. That particular block is called a Jewel block thence the Grandmothers Jewels name we gave the quilt. We came up with a star layout using 4 different blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaF
    The raffle quilt was cut out using several of the dies for 12" blocks that I bought with the Accuquilt Studio. That particular block is called a Jewel block thence the Grandmothers Jewels name we gave the quilt. We came up with a star layout using 4 different blocks.
    Many thanks,
    Betty

Can they be done as needle turn applique without the adhesive stuff? If I want to do them by hand?
    Just remember if you try to do needle turn that the die does not allow for that extra part that gets turned under. I guess you could use paper in the die the put the cut paper on fabric and cut out your fabric pieces a bit larger. I think just using fusible and then do something like a blanket stitch around them would work much better and it would keep the shape of Sue and Sam. I love my Accuquilt cutter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2