Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
accuquilt >

accuquilt

accuquilt

Old 01-30-2014, 09:21 AM

Default accuquilt

I am interested to know if the accuquilt is really worth the expense. If you all could give me some feedback either yes or no I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 01-30-2014, 09:29 AM

I think it is worth it..I love to cut strips with mine..they come out straight rather than sort of "V" shaped! I know some people are not as happy with theirs as I am so you might be able to find a good deal. I got mine at Joann's during their sale a couple of years ago for $199.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:32 AM

It's very subjective. I really like mine, but I find that I don't use it very often because the dies are kind of expensive, and I'm the kind of person who (usually) only makes a quilt once, then I move on to other designs. I have basic dies, such as triangles, circles, squares, jelly-roll-like strips, etc.; shapes I can adapt to multiple designs.

Having said that, it IS really helpful for people who have difficulties using rotary cutters or scissors for whatever reason. Cutting isn't my favorite part of quilting, so I like that it's a little faster with the Go.

Some people don't like the fabric "waste" that they get, but I find that if I plan accordingly and cut my yardage into chunks before I put it through the Go, I get maybe 1/4" to 1/2" waste around the shapes, and I'm okay with that.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:00 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I agree with Peckish... Everyone has their own feelings on the machine.. I for one Love it.. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOOOOOOVE it... I actually have two... Long story... Ive had mine for years when they first came out... I think the dies can get pricey but i personally don't think they are that bad... Every holiday and for my birthdays i'd get a couple of dies so after years and years I have a nice collection.. I personally like the Geo shapes, Tumbler, Large Hexi, specialty block ones (DWR/Hunters star/etc- ones id hate to cut out !!!! ) and the rags: star heart sqs...But with that said i have most all of the old ones and discontinued ones as well..I do have a few applique, mostly the baby ones but not the recent ones, i found i wont use those new ones.. I use my GO mostly for cutting up scraps into usable pieces.. ( i am a scrappy quilter) I have the strips dies but i find i can rotary cut them faster than i can fabric fold them on the die so those sit and collect dust..

My most used dies are:
2x2
2.5x2.5
Brick
Large tumbler
large rag

I do recommend buying cutting mats when on sale, im probably odd man out but these in my eyes are disposable.. I can kill a mat in a month so i have back-up mats for the back up mats... I usually have 3-4 of each size mats on hand at all times.. Another great gift idea to hint for on holidays BTW...

As for the waste, i have slivers... Learn to outline the dies and fabric placement and you'll only have pet betting slivers left.. Its all in how you place your fabric..

With all that being said- this is not for everyone but it works great for me..
Old 01-30-2014, 10:04 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Oh and one quick last comment.. currently making a denim cathedral.. the circle die was a life and time saver!!! this was a practice run.. but to cut those by hand ?!?!? no thanks..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]459486[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_5075.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 10:06 AM

I also use the Go for basic shapes that can be used in many designs. It was worth the money for me.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

My Go is as important as my sewing machine to me. I haven't found a quilt pattern that I can't adapt to a die size. I use the 6 1/2" strip die a lot for borders. I scour the web for shops selling out the Go dies. Just last month one site was selling them for 50% off. The sale was posted in Links and Resources section. I crank the Go with it sitting low almost to my hips so I don't raise my arm, just turn at the elbow. That makes a big difference. My Go is well used so turning it is smooth and easy.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:12 AM

I am very fond of my Go. But is it worth it to you? It all depends on what type of quilting you do. It certainly makes cutting strips quick. I can usually cut enough strips for all the binding of one quilt in one run through of the die. And I cut 300 - 5 x 5 inch squares of Christmas fabric for a 75 x 75 inch quilt using 73 fabrics in about 2 hours.

I have a lot of dies that I have tested but haven't used yet.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:19 AM

luvtooquilt - I absolutely love your denim cathedral. Beautiful!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 AM

I have a Fiskars Fuse, 2 of them actually. In Love! The Accuquilt dies work fabulously well in it, as well as all the card-making dies, and the Sizzix quilt dies.

I use the June Carter template for making strips. Folding the fabric on the Accuquilt die is too putzy for me.

But the Accuquilt dies are fabulous for the shapes. I only have basic shapes...rectangles, squares, hexes, triangles. But what lifesavers they are! I can cut out all the triangles needed for my hex quilt in about an hour, and they're all exactly the same size/shape. Yay!!!!

It would have taken me at least a week to cut out all those triangles with a rotary cutter, and then they wouldn't have been identical either.

I only buy the dies when they're on sale at JoAnn's for 50% off. Or sometimes you can find them on clearance at either Joann's or Michael's. I always snap those up.