Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accurate Cutting? Need some help >

Accurate Cutting? Need some help

Accurate Cutting? Need some help

Old 02-24-2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Hockeyrabbit View Post
Hi All-

I am about ready to SCREAM! Now, mind you I am an OCD/ADHD type of person who LOVES perfection and quilting/cutting fabric has become quite a humbling experience because there is SO much human error involved..it drives me nuts! HA!

ANYWAYS, I am wondering how to improve my cutting skills to make everything else line up correctly. Trust me, I have improved SO MUCH from a year ago. Some factors I am wondering about..does the CUTTING TABLE matter? I currently cut on one of those plastic fold up tables, and yes, the table is very sturdy, but when you press on the top, it does have some "play" to it..would a wooden table make a difference at all? Secondly, I ALWAYS have a sharp blade, so that isn't an issue, and I really try to triple check and square up EVERYTHING before making the cuts.

Advice or tips would be GREAT! Thanks, JC

Two things helped me with my cutting skills....one I purchased a cutting table (with coupon) from JoAnn's that is wonderful height and plenty sturdy. Two, I took a basic rotary cutting class at a local quilt store. She made us learn to cut on the blank side of the mat with a good grid ruler. She showed us how to "walk" your holding hand up the ruler on long stretches and how to cut unusual shapes. Those two investments were absolutely worth it. I still goof some and sometime the ruler will slip. Putting just a little spray starch on your fabric helps as well. I just use a little of the cheap Niagra on the fabric. Mary Ellen's is wonderful but it is a little pricey to use on everything! I have found most of my problems came from poor cutting and not poor sewing!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:39 AM

That is the main reason I bought the go cutter. I wasted so much material as I can not seem to get two blocks the same size no matter how careful I tried. The go makes it work for me. I have no commercial interest in go.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
We had trouble with accurate cutting til we invested in the Altos cutting system "the QuiltCut2. It wasn't cheap but neither was the fabric we wasted. My DH is willing to do most of my strip cutting since we purchased it. These are the same people who make the cutting systems picture framers use to cut mats for pictures, so you know they have to be accurate. Saw it demonstrated at a quilt show.
I, too, have an Altos cutting system. It's really good when cutting multiples of the same size as in strip quilting. Seeing a demo at a quilt show is definitely a plus if you are considering purchasing one.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:52 AM

There are new rulers that have a "lip" type guide and a cutter that fits on it. The make accurate cuts all the time because you can't move the blade off the ruler. The same company has little fabric grippers to put on the fabric too. It's Truecut from, I think, Grace Co.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:59 AM

Hockeyrabbit

Other than the table issue, how are you measuring your cuts? Are you using the grid on the mat, or are you using a two ruler method?

I had always used the grid on the mat to line up and measure my fabric then placed the ruler to cut, and for repeats I would just slide my ruler to the left and keep cutting still using the grids on the mat.

Recently I purchased Sally Collins book "Mastering Precision Piecing" and along with some sewing techniques that I now employ, I also switched to the two ruler cutting method she recommends.

I like doing small piece blocks and with these precision is necessary down to the 1/16". Prior to reading Sally Collins I struggled and had to "fudge" a lot. Not any more.

Get her book, and video. It's all about precision, precision, precision. I call it the "piecing primer".

BTW - I'm using a plastic Beba mat placed on a formica table top. It's not an issue.

Sue
Old 02-24-2012, 07:28 AM

I use to use my kitchen counter and found that I always had some sliding of the ruler, I am about 5'1" tall. One day, where I had other things on the counter, I decided to use the dining room table. It worked great. Since we don't use it
very often, I can leave my cutting board and fabrics for a project right there. It is large and stable and the right height for me. I find that made the biggest difference in my cutting.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:37 AM

Nice advice. I too was wondering if the table I am using while away from home is the difference. Thanks for letting others listen in as well. Teresa
Old 02-24-2012, 07:44 AM

I have a wonderful table on bed risers which bring it to exactly the height I need. The table is a 3/8" thick sheet of glass set in a brushed aluminum frame. It's solid and steady. I acquired it as a gift from a dear friend who was cleaning out her summer house and no longer wanted it.
One thing I do before sewing my blocks is double check their measurements. I often find a slight trim around the edges is necessary to obtain the perfect size.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 AM

See if you can find an old dining room table at a thrift shop, yard sale, or clearance center. That's what I am using. Maybe even an old dresser. Either one if they have legs, use some bed risers to raise it if necessary.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:31 PM

Use good quality rulers, not "chepos" that may be inaccurate. Use starch. Use a quilter"s rotary cutter and mat (not scrapbooking quality), use a firm table with no bounce, and use the ruler to measure, not the gridlines on the mat. If you are cutting wide widths (for a border for example) place 2 rulers next to each other. Cutting mat lines have a width to them and may be quite inaccurate. When cutting, place your baby finger or baby and ring fingers off the ruler and onto the fabric.

Now fold your fabric in half, so that the selvage touches the original fold. Your fabric will be approx. 10-11" deep by whatever length you chose. Cut half way up, and leave your blade IN THE FABRIC, then move your fingers up (toward the top third of the fabric) and continue cutting. I like to use a Creative Grids 2.5 x 12" ruler. When using a 24" ruler it can be hard to prevent slippage.

Read Harriet Hargrave's books called "University series" especially the Freshman Year volume as ideals with accuracy. Good luck!