Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Acrylic sewing tables...are they worth it?? >

Acrylic sewing tables...are they worth it??

Acrylic sewing tables...are they worth it??

Old 08-25-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
I've been thinking about buying a large (24x24) acrylic sewing table for my one machine but wondered if any of you have one, do you like it, and is it worth the $100 price tag?
I bought one for all my machines (5) back when they first came out and were much cheaper. I LOVE mine not only for the added table space but since I'm left-handed, I put my tools down under the table as I'm sewing and where I can see them. Sew convenient. They double very well as light boxes also.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:01 PM

I bought one with my new brother quilting machine. I had no idea how much frustration would be eliminated. Now I don't think of free motion quilting as 'quilt wrestling'!
Old 08-25-2010, 01:16 PM

I have a Janome and my extension table came included as a special sale offer. Normally it is an optional extra. I used it to quilt a large quilt and have left it on since then. Wouldn't be without it.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
I've been thinking about buying a large (24x24) acrylic sewing table for my one machine but wondered if any of you have one, do you like it, and is it worth the $100 price tag?
I bought a custom 18x24 for my Bernina. I have my machine on a low table - I have never regretted buying it. I use it almost all the time - great help when FMQ. And when it is set up, the space below is great for scissors, pins, supplies, etc.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:07 PM

I am so glad to run across your note. I have been looking for a table like that for awhile now. It was so nice being able to see all the sizes. This quilting board is fun and very informative. Thank you :-)
Old 08-25-2010, 03:09 PM

My DH had one made for me that is 36 x 36. I love it! It is not portable like the smaller ones, but allows me to do large blocks and tops so much easier. It was less than $100.00, custom made to fit my machine.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:11 PM

I made my own plexiglass table for my machine. I drew onto a piece of freezer paper the size and shape I wanted. I took it to the local glass shope, along with a catalog that had a picture of what I was going to do with it. I did more of an L shape with the table fitting around the back of my machine. I got 1/4" plexiglass and it was big. About 24' square. Once the man saw what I wanted to make with it, he rounded the corners and it only cost me about $25.00. I measured how high it needed to be and then my DH made legs for it. He counter sunk the screws that held the legs, and I had a table for next to nothing. I still use it for retreats and such.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:13 PM

i cant afford one, they also sell the acrylic at home stores

o you could make one for yourself i guess, use empty spools

for the legs?
Old 08-25-2010, 03:18 PM

my mom got me one from nancy's notions year ago.. i never take it off the machine unless i need to hem something small, and would have taken the regular base off anyway...

makes for a lot less drag when i'm piecing or quilting..
Old 08-25-2010, 03:34 PM

Could not live without mine. Paid $70 a few years ago directly to Sears to go on my Kenmore.

I also use it for a quick light table by putting four of those "press and light" closet lights under it. Works great.