Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
AcuQuilt >

AcuQuilt

AcuQuilt

Old 09-15-2014, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

There are a lot of models so be sure you are able to select the one for your needs. My friend bought hers at her LQS and she is able to borrow the dyes for free overnight.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
There are a lot of models so be sure you are able to select the one for your needs. My friend bought hers at her LQS and she is able to borrow the dyes for free overnight.
Wow, that's an awesome program!

I'm eyeing them too. For cutting blocks & strips I get really good accuracy with my June Tailor rulers and don't mind the cutting process at all (I find it to be a bit therapeutic actually) but I'm finally reaching a point where I'm a confident enough sewer that I want to try taking on some curved piecing. I think for cutting curved pieces I would rather use dies than try to painstakingly follow templates with my rotary blade. I think they'd also be great for rag quilts; I will never again snip one of those by hand!! I think I put about 6 years worth of wear into my joints doing just one quilt.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:41 AM

...have had GO for 3 yrs.....it is so accurate and the amount of waste is nominal.....now am contemplating buying the DRW and finally try that pattern! The only disappointment I have is the company crackdown, so to speak, on their distributors ability to offer discounted prices....I will continue to buy, but not as many as often!
Old 09-15-2014, 06:55 AM

I have the Sizzix Big Kick and love it. With the Sizzix you can use dies from other systems. I purchased mine on Ebay a few months ago and must say it is worth every penny! I purchased the extra long dies to cut strips. I cut enough strips for 2 bargello quilts in about 20 minutes. Granted some of the dies can be a bit pricey but if you plan on using them more than once the price balances out, IMO. My sister has arthritis in her hands and shoulders. I convinced her to buy one. She was making a quilt with half square triangles, she was blown away. Now, if she can't cut it with her Sizzix, she ain't makin it!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:30 AM

This lady, Ebony Love, is an expert on die cutters. You can watch videos of how they work and her thoughts on all the different models. She is very friendly and you can email her with questions:

http://www.youtube.com/user/LoveBugStudios
Old 10-22-2014, 09:00 AM

I have the Accuquilt Baby-I like it and I like that a lot of the GO Dies will work in it. Sometimes it seems like it is a waste of fabric to use some of the dies. But I do like the accuracy and also I love it for cutting applique shapes (I'm not much for cutting by hand precisely.) The Quilting Place here in town has the Studio and she will help us use it for $5 much cheaper than buying that one and my Sister in Law has the GO~so if I need a die she usually has it.

Originally Posted by marilyn43 View Post
Good afternoon everyone. Hope your Sunday has been a good one. I am wondering if anybody has a acuquilt and does it work for cutting quilt blocks? I have money from birthdays and Mothers Day thought maybe I'd get one. I don't know that I understand the machine and how it works. Thank you.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:16 PM

I have the Accuquilt Go and love it. I am terrible with the rotary cutter and the Go cuts so perfect.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:04 AM

i have a accuquilt go and i really like it sometimes. it is great for something like a double wedding ring or to cut out 200 perfect little triangles.
i still rotary cut smaller quantities (especially strips and squares) because by the time i am cutting the strips to size for the cutter, i might as well just cut them to the right size to use. i tend to use my june taylor shape cut ruler for strips because it is fast and easy.
the real cost of a die cutter is not the cutter but the dies. why not go on their sight and add up the cost of all of the dies to make 4 or 5 different quilts and then decide if it is worthwhile for you.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
Do you mean the Accuquilt go? It works. I sold mine because it was too limiting. If you mean the Accuquilt Studio it's not limiting. Once you buy the machine you still have to buy dies for each shape you want to cut.
GO limiting...Studio not limiting? GO is just a smaller version of Studio, which was originally designed for retail, and needs a "permanent" station...whereas GO is considered more for "home use", and portable... Granted the dies available are smaller, volume of fabric to be cut is less. 6 vs. 8, but now with the new electric GO about to be released, the die sizes available will be more extensive, because the cutting area is larger. I have the GO and a good library of dies....not sorry about the investment...works very well for me. But, one buys/uses what works for them.....in all things....
Old 10-23-2014, 05:57 PM

That is why the Go is limiting to me. It only goes up to 10" which means that the biggest square would probably be 8". It only takes GO dies and the studio can take both the Go dies and the studio dies. I have the Big Shot Pro and it can take every die except a very few studio dies. Most of my dies are sizzix so they wouldn't work in the Accuquilt Go. And Sizzix dies go on sale a lot-I got most of them at 75% off or less.

So yes, for me the Go is too limiting. I have room for the Big Shot Pro and I don't sew anywhere but at home so I don't need it to be portable.