Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: adding multiple borders question

I wouldn't sew them together first. You'd then have to miter the corners, yes?

Blog Entries
    I have done it both ways, and both work. I really like sewing the borders together for a couple of reasons. First I do not get wavy borders when joining them first, and second, it is easier to mitre your corners if you sew them together first (JMHO).
    Quilting is my PASSION not my pass time.
    If Your DREAMS don"t Scare You...Then They Are NOT Big Enough!!!Dare to DREAM!

www.quilterella.ca

I think it would be fine but only if you miter the corners or use corner stones. Go for it

I've found for me that sewing them together first is much easier because I don't have to handle the entire quilt top so many times as I continue to add sides. I posted a tutorial on her in the last year on my easy method for mitering corners. This method has made it so easy to miter that I miter borders on almost every project. Taks the fear out of mitering.

Blog Entries
    I am in the process of doing a quilt with four two inch borders and one 6 inch border. I do them individually, mainly because I want to keep the lines straight. It seems to me that this is the easiest way to do it anyhow. I cut out all of my borders, sewing strips together if necessary, add a little fabric extra each time since the quilt edge is getting larger, iron the strips, hang them on a hanger and I am ready to go! My only problem was that the LQS ran out of the fabric I ran out of and I had to wait to get the last row on. I also am going to make it a little larger being that it is the back of the quilt and I always do the back and batting larger than the quilt top anyhow. Works for me!!!!! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by callen View Post
    Someone else had told me that & on my next quilt I am going to try it. Don't know why it wouldn't work.
    You have to miter the borders for it to look right

I sew them on seperately UNLESS I am mitering the corners, then I sew them together and sew on as one. Either way will work. 99% of the time I cut down the selvage, not across from selvage to selvage. That also will effect if it is wavy. Measuring and pinning correctly also effects how straight or wavy your borders will be.
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

Blog Entries
    I'm new to this, but I'd put them together first. That way you only have to deal with the bulk on the machine once.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I've always done one border at a time. Didn't even think about doing both at once. Some of you said it might cause the borders to become wavy if done together and other say it doesn't. Now I don't kinow what to do with my quilts. I think I will try to do two borders at once and miter the corners. I have a ruler for mitering. Hope it works.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I've alwasy done them one at a time

I would do them one at a time unless you want the look as illustrated or you want to miter the corners. You might also want to size the width of your borders using the Fibonacci number theory or golden ratio. Measure the width of your block and multiply or divide by 1.61. example: 9 inch block (division process) - 5.5, 3.5. 2.25, 1.25, 0.75 Any of these widths will give a balanced look. Just keep dividing the answer by 1.61 and round up or down to the nearest quarter or eighth inch as desired. Look up Fibonacci or Golden Ratio for more information.

Blog Entries
    I do mine seperately

I do them one border at a time so that I can do a herringbone effect in the corners.
    I think it might also impact any stretching that can occur over a longer strip of fabric.

I do 2 long sides (3" in this case), then the short ones.
    Then I do the two short ones (6" wide in this example), followed by the two long.
    I hope this makes sense!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apiarist View Post
    I would join the two borders together first. That way if you mitre the corners both borders will match perfectly.
    what a great idea. And you only have to do 4 miters instead of eight. Brilliant !!!

Quote Originally Posted by callen View Post
    Someone else had told me that & on my next quilt I am going to try it. Don't know why it wouldn't work.
    Both ways work fine but sewing them together aids in making mitered borders if that is what you wanted. No wavy if you measure right and use a walking foot or pin it well.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

Sounds like a good idea to me, I'll try it next quilt that I do. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

I like to sew the borders together, then add them. I think it keeps the borders much straighter and flat. I also miter the corner. It makes finishing easier and looks lovely.

If you are going to miter the corners, then go ahead and sew them together before adding them to the top. If you aren't mitering the corners, you may want to sew them on separately.

Cheers, K

I do them one at a time so that the borders are a frame. If you do them as one unit, you will have strips at the top and bottom and not frames.
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

I think that whatever way works for you, and you're comfortable with, is the way you should do it. You guys had me so scared about "mitered corners" that I practiced on practice material several times before I did it on a real quilt. And, I might add, did them perfectly several times before I did them on a real quilt. Was still quaking when I did mitered corners on a real quilt. They still came out perfectly. That's not saying they're easy, but sometimes you scare us Newbies (to quilting) too much!

Putting two borders together before putting them on the quilt -- don't see the point -- not in my comfort zone. On the other hand, there is something to be said about getting outside one's comfort zone! Hmmmm. . .

Cheers!
    MacThayer

I'd say sew the borders together first and treat them as 1 piece of fabric.

Hhhhph. I never thought to sew them together first. I just figured like everything else one at a time. That was enough for me. Not brave enough to try sewing two together or mitering corners. It will come. hehe Teresa

I agree with Scissor Queen, that sewing mitered corner borders together is fine. However, if they are regular borders, do it one at a time, because the outer border will secure the inner border with the alternating overlap edges.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrab64 View Post
    I have a large quilt top that I'm adding a 3" border to and then a 6" border. Do you add each border at a time to the large top or can you sew the 3" and 6" border together and then add that one 9" border to the large top?
    You could do it that way if you are going to do mitered corners. Otherwise you should add the sides first then the top of each border first, in my opinion. One thing I have learned from several classes I took, the first border, if you are framing the center, should not be bigger than your sashing. Although, that is only a guideline and you should do what pleases you. I have seen it both ways and like them. This is just a rumor, but the quilting police ran out of money and are on strike.
    The Quilting Bear

i just did this on a quilt i am working on , i sewed the boarders together first because i made a mitered corners and it was a lot easier to get the mitered corners even

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast