Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Adhesive stitching >

Adhesive stitching

Adhesive stitching

Old 02-28-2010, 05:27 AM

doda,
haven't used that paper, but have drawn my own design on golden threads paper (it's gold color and tears off easily), or what ever they call it, and I loved it. Also, I used a stencil for a cable on a border thought that worked great. I used walking foot and was really pleased. Since it was a border and near edge of quilt it wasn't too difficult. Good Luck
peel
Old 02-28-2010, 05:34 AM
KR

Never thought of using Glad Press 'n Seal, but I've used Kabnet Wax deli paper with success. It's translucent like tracing paper and available in a lifetime supply at Sam's, and probably Costco.

Trace design onto the paper, then pin or spray baste to quilt top. The paper helps the free-motion foot glide over the surface, especially over thicker areas. It's a bit of a pain to remove all the little bits that cling to small areas of stitching, but otherwise it tears away very easily.

Stencils are great, too! You can make your own....blank stencil plastic is available at JoAnn's, Michaels, etc. Use an X-Acto knife with a pointed blade to cut the design, remembering to cut it in long dashed lines. Takes a little time, but when finished you have a permanent stencil.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:55 AM

I have tried this & in fact still have lots left. I found it tricky to match up at the corners but it looked good when completed. Will give it another chance when I do a lap quilt because it was quite expensive & I certainly do not want to waste it.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:42 PM

Diane, you are using the free motion foot which is what you need. Make sure you put on a pair of gloves, a pair of garden cotton gloves for ladies, with a ruberize type of palm or maybe the dotted palms will do, but you do need gloves with palms that will hold the fabric taut. Spread your fingers out and around the area of stiching again keeping the fabric taut. At first go slow, and think of pieces of puzzles, might could help if you draw them on scrap paper first, trying not to cross over lines, you can draw or sew the puzzles design large or small. The larger the design the faster the stippling will take and much less thread. If you practice on a 14 by 14 piece of fabric ( three layers in place), using the puzzle design, you will be ready for your quilt. Move the fabric at a consistent speed, not to fast, watch your stiches as you sew, and if your going to fast it will skip stiches, to slow your stiches will be to small. A short time practicing will get you there.
Good luck
Old 02-28-2010, 06:45 PM

As to learning FMQ (I don't know if we ever feel like we've really "learned" it), but the one tip that noticeably advanced my confidence in my FMQ skills was this tip:

On a 14" or so square quilting sandwich, with your regular or walking foot on and the feed dogs UP as normal, make a line of stitching (normal length) across the square every inch or so.

THEN: Put on your Free Motion (darning) foot, drop the feed dogs, and start doing your free motion STRAIGHT lines of stitching in between the lines done by the machine. You might even want to use a different color top thread, just for comparison.

As you do each row, try to coordinate your throttle speed with your hand control to duplicate the straight line of stitching done/controlled by the machine. You'll be surprised how much easier FMQ gets and how you develop a "feel" for it once you get the straight-line technique down so that your FMQ line looks a lot like the machine-produced lines do.

I still do this as a brush-up if it's been awhile since I've FMQ'd, just to get back in the groove. Works well for me. Hope it helps you too.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:41 PM

These are way too expensive for me. I have made my own out of tissue paper. It is time consuming but the results are worth it. I use a pattern that I like out of a magazine or library book and make a template and draw away.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the Glad Press and Seal links.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady37
I quilted a border with a roll of this once. It was a little difficult, but was much cheaper than sending my quilt out to be quilted.
I have been wondering - How much does it cost to send a quilt out to have someone MQ for you?
Old 03-01-2010, 05:31 AM

what does LQS & LAQ stand for ? I like to read what peopel are saying but don't know what all the letters stand not just yours but a lot of them. Than You shrabar

local quilt shop and long arm quilter
Old 03-01-2010, 05:34 AM

Jo Belmont, thanks for that good tip on how to improve your FMQ. I'll try that.