Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice about making tote bags please >

Advice about making tote bags please

Advice about making tote bags please

Old 04-29-2015, 01:42 PM

I have always made my tote bags with a separate lining. I use junk fabric to quilt the public side of the bag. For a really strong bag I quilt to denim or corduroy. It really makes the tote bag nice and substantial. You can add a label and as many pockets as you desire- I usually make at least one of the pockets with a zipper for security. Adding a lining also lets you attach the straps without any stitching showing on the outside and no raw edges on the straps to worry about! I think if you give it a try, you will see the advantages. I turn the bag right side out through an opening in the side seam of the lining. Sew the side seam together and then top stitch around the top. The topstitching gives you one more opportunity to reinforce the strap attachments and makes a nice finished edge without the lining peeking out.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:47 PM

Well, in theory I agree with Lori, busyfingers and Ms. Heirloom that a tote bag with a separate lining is the best, most professional way to make them, I tend to be an impatient person! I dream up a project and before it's even done I'm ready to begin the next one.

That said, perhaps one day I will succumb and make nicer bags with separate linings. I agree they look real nice.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
Ah yes, Princess. I see what you mean. That's a very interesting method. Thanks!

Do you always use serious straps like in the tute or do you sometimes make your own handles out of plain old cloth, folded over? I can see how the straps could also be a design element. Definitely something to think about.

P.S. I posted a pic of how I finished the laptop tote bag, it's sinking lower into the que in case you want to see....
I usually go overboard on reinforcing the handles. The minimum sewing I do is the box, as you did when you revised your new tote. I often do make them from fabric, but I put a piece of batting or interfacing in to reinforce them. If I go around the whole tote with the handle, I will just put the interfacing in the portion that will be caught in the box sewing and in the handle portion, but not the part that goes around the tote. This cuts down on bulk. I really do find making the handles tedious. My sister makes purses for craft fairs and my cousins also make bags & totes, so we get the polypropylene strapping in bulk and split it. Having strapping on hand in lots of colors is great.
http://www.countrybrookdesign.com/webbing-and-hardware

I make lots of totes with painter's canvas drop cloths from Lowes or Home Depot. Pretty inexpensive. Don't get the plastic coated ones. Sounds like a good idea, but the plastic peels off after a while. You can use it on the outside or as the lining.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:25 PM

Gee Princess, you are a veritable fountain of tote bag advice! Thanks.

I do put batting in the handles, I like how it makes them softer and more comfortable.

I kind of enjoy one part of handle making. I like when the handle is all pressed, the batting is inside and I'm sewing the 2 seams on the edges. Mind you, so far my handles hover around 24" but I get a kick out of watching that handle get sucked into my sewing machine. I am not as thrilled watching regular fabric do that. Maybe it's because the handle is so thin and I can see my sewing machine bed on both sides of it? IDK but it's like magic for me!
Old 05-01-2015, 03:50 AM

You could attach the pockets by hand.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by busy fingers View Post
Could you just quilt the top and the batting together only then make the lining with the pockets sewn into the side and bottom seams which will give them strength.
I agree that this approach would work and let you have both a quilted exterior and an interior with all the pockets you want to add.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:01 AM

Check out you tube. There are several tutorials that fit your needs perfectly. Just search form"zippered pockets".
Gammaginny
Old 05-01-2015, 04:03 AM

Personally I make the front by adding batting and quilting. Then I put pockets on the lining and sandwich together as before. To stabilize the lining and front you could do a line of sewing just inside seams .
Old 05-01-2015, 04:49 AM

I have two suggestions. You can make the pocket separately ...including the backing and make it from seam to seam...I do this a lot...it creates many little pockets including one for checkbook or cell phone and pens. The side seams would be in the seams of the actual bag....you could then sew the bottom by hand or sew with invisible thread all across the bottom of the pocket. The other suggestion is to do your totes the way I do mine. I use batting for both the exterior and the lining. This double batting makes for a very nice sturdy tote or bag. I quilt each separately and actually practice my FMQ on the lining since it will not show that much. I usually straight line quilt the exterior. This also makes it better for using magnetic fasteners and sewing the straps. I trim the batting bulk on both sides of the seam before turning the bag. Hope this helps you.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by busy fingers View Post
Could you just quilt the top and the batting together only then make the lining with the pockets sewn into the side and bottom seams which will give them strength.
This was going to be my suggestion, too. Put the batting on top and fabric towards the feed dogs and it works great!

Or you could do that for just the area where the pocket will be (maybe do a big medallion design or something) then put the lining layer (with pocket already sewn on) down and quilt them together around the pocket with grid lines or something like that.