Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: advice for christmas gift

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what to include in sewing box for my 8 year old for christmas. She is asking santa this year for a sewing machine. I need (inexpensive) ideas of things to include. I will have to share my little stash of fabric with her because I think it is more important that she has the other stuff to go with her machine rather than her own stash.
    All ideas are appreciated.
    Tina

Blog Entries
    Perhaps a gift certificate or a shopping trip together would be more fun. Limit the dollar amount and take her on a "stock the sewing basket" trip (maybe include a light lunch). It is our time they want. A sewing machine is a great gift.

Blog Entries
    Scissors, tape measure, some rulers, pins, pin cushion , needles, threader, thimbles

Not sure at that age that I would give her a rotary cutter , she might try to use it without supervision :shock:

Blog Entries
    Definitely a few patterns or a book with easy projects she can start right away (accessories for dolls, a cushion for her room, scrunchies for her hair, etc)

Some handmade vouchers for a "masterclass" with you

I found the nicest little pair of scissors at Dollar Tree they are with the school supplies Fiskers with a pointed end and a cover for the tip they cut through fabric like butter. a 6 inch ruler, pencils for marking sewing lines to start. extra sewing machine needles, thread. I made my Granddaughters sewing basket I will take a pic and post it in a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a picture of the one I made for my Granddaughter I used a small basket from Dollar tree and made a cover to fit, covered it with fabric and added a pin cushion to the top, I also included a template for her. I cut a bunch of charm squares to get her started also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    chocolate
    seam ripper
    ruler
    pins
    cute pin cushion
    scissors

Oh this sounds like fun!!!

How about starting her a "library" of patterns. You could print free patterns on line and put them in a three ring binder - lots of inspiration when looking through. I would do scissors, pins, ruler, pin cushion, thread, etc. - just the basics to get her going! What a fun Christmas break the two of you will have together!!!

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions and the wonderful picture. I think I was trying to make this more stressful than it should have been.

Oh you have just given me a great idea for my little ones birthday! Thank you! Thank you!

I would do the basics, like everyone else said. I'd also choose a few fabrics...not stash building, per say, just something that is just hers, kwim? Like a charm pack or a few co-ordinating FQ's. Nothing big...you could even pull from your own stash and cut some for her.

Don't forget to put a seam ripper in!!! Several spools of thread. I love to see the young kids interested in getting started in sewing.

Make a really cute pincushion with some pins with fun tops. You've got lots of ideas here...My granddaughter loves to collect fabric and has her own box at my house. You won't have to spend a lot of money to get a fun basket for her.

Blog Entries
    when my granddaughter asked for a sewing machine - i gave her a quilt box with all the things mentioned already - but i think at 8 yrs old some precut blocks would be a good thing. that way she is ready to start on her own quilt immediately.

Blog Entries
    Maybe toss in some fusible web, applique can be a fun beginner project too :D:D:D
    A few spools of brightly colored thread?

I'd get her a pattern book geared towards teens or make her a binder full of ones you found online with the patterns in plastic sheet protector sleeves.

I'd get her the longer pins, a magnetic pin cushion (I looove those things!) and maybe a tool organizer. You could either make or buy one of those.

You could also start her off with good habits and include a pair of glasses - either with no change in vision or the reading types to protect her eyes.

There are just so many notions out there that if I were in the same position, I'd go overboard!
    It also really all depends on what kind of sewing she wants to do.

Power Poster
    I hope you are getting her a "real" sewing machine that she can grow into.

Power Poster
    I would have said seam ripper. Mine is connected to me.

So many great suggestions, I need to look up a pattern for a pin cushion and tool organizer.
    Bearisgray, yes she is getting a real sewing machine. It will be new to her but it is actually an older Singer, that I found on Craigslist and took it in for a checkup.

How about a used machine, either at a yard sale, thrift store or even your local sewing machine shop. The last machine I got at the local Humane Society store, is a 70's Kenmore, works great and the best thing is, it cost me $10.00.

Blog Entries
    My Mom gave me a sewing basket for Christmas when I was 10. It had all the sewing goodies, and a kit to sew a stuffed dog and some quilt squares. That gift stands out amoung my childhood favorites.

My DD just started taking an intrest in sewing. Pillowcases are her favorite things to sew. She loves making them for herself as well as friends and family.

At that age cutting can be rather problematic. They just do not have the patience for accuate cutting. Maybe put in some 6 or 8 inch precut squares that she can get right to the sewing part.
    or a few fat quarters. At that age I was pretty intriged with sparkly or shinny fabrics and anything purple.
    My Mom gave her granddaughter a good pair of sissors that she took to an engraver, and had a message for her on them. No it was not ... Do not use on paper!

I'm putting together the same sort of thing (but only for hand sewing) for my daughter for christmas. I'm thinking a bunch of different embroidery threads, cute needle book and pincushion, scissors, a charm pack, a spool of thread, and maybe a kids sewing book with projects (but the idea of printing out stuff from the internet is good, too. There are a lot of cute cute projects and tutorials online).

I plan to share my stash with her, as well, but I figure a charm pack will give her something to "play with", trying out fabric combinations and the precut pieces will be good for her since she can't cut well at all.

How about some marking pens or pencils, or tailors chalk? Also a seam gauge. If she's going to quilt, maybe a set of basic acrylic templates.

all really good ideas - I have a 6 year old granddaughter that is beginning to show some interest - I love the ideas here

UpNorth, that is the cutest basket! I want to make one!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast