Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice for machine shopping >

Advice for machine shopping

Advice for machine shopping

Old 10-16-2013, 06:21 PM

Thanks, that's really helpful, I'll check it out.

Originally Posted by kheliwud View Post
I would advise you to set your budget, make a wish list and spend time researching. I recently bought a new long arm machine after researching online, trying out friends' machines and attending quilt shows to try the machines there. That was the biggest help! In NYC you have Sewmark Sewing Machine Inc on 38th St, they sell a range of machines for both industrial and home use. They will also service your machine. There's also Crown Machines on Broadway. They also carry many different brands. A good machine is essential to enjoying sewing, so you should try them out and get the one that feels best to you!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:22 PM

I don't think I have any special needs. I just don't want to pay for a lot of options I won't use.

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
Fix you budget and wish list. One of my machines has loads of pretty/fancy stitches yet I haven't used most of them.

Then try them all out. Do you have any handicaps such that certain features work better for you such that a knee lift/control or IDT might be best?
Old 10-17-2013, 04:05 AM

Sarah, one thing I look for on top of the visable features is the machines ability to sew on thin fabric as well as layers of thick fabric. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:48 AM

Buying a machine from a dealer who can also service your machine and show you how to use all the features is the best advice I can give you. For me, the important features were thread cutter, auto threader, feed dogs that drop and a large throat.....I ended up with a used Janome 6600 and I love it! It has lots of extra stitches that I thought I would never use....but I do use them more often than I thought. Make a list of possibles before you go, take several scrap sandwiches with you and test drive lots of machines.....you will know right away which ones to eliminate. If you sew all the time stay away from the cheap Brother and Singer....they will not last. Bernina are great machines, but are not for a limited budget. Do your research (lots of great advice here on the board).....don't buy the first machine you test drive.....Have Fun!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:32 PM

I think I may buy a new Janome 1600p that I've been offered for a good price. I know it's wise to check out lots of options, but I sort of like that this fell into my lap, as it's an earlier model of a machine I'm very interested in. There's a dealer near me for maintenance and repairs. I'm just doing a little research and then I'll decide.