Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on making a new baby blanket from an old thread-bare one. >

Advice on making a new baby blanket from an old thread-bare one.

Advice on making a new baby blanket from an old thread-bare one.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:33 AM

Hi Everyone,

My DS has a "kee kee" that is literally on its last few nights of actually looking like a blanket. He received it (bought from BabyGAP) when he was born (he's 6 now) and fell in love with it when he was about 6 months old and it has spent every night with him (and most days until he was 4 1/2) since then. Needless to say, it is in pieces. I have had to remove one applique (named "fishie") because it was hanging by one single thread and the other two are in terrible shape. the bindingis not holding the layers together in over 60% of the blanket and if I don't do something about it soon, the layers will completely separate and no longer be "kee Kee". Plus, it definitely needs to be washed (NO MOM NO!). I have attached a few pictures.

He has agreed to let me take it on my quilt retreat this weekend to make him a new one using "only the big chunks" from "kee kee". And, I have to use the appliques. At this point, there are large pieces plus the appliques that I can salvage and sew in with new fabric to make him a new one.

So, I NEED YOUR HELP in figuring out the best way to do it! I know I can fuse pieces of the old stuff to some fusible webbing, but then can I just sew those pieces with new ones? I've never used anything but Steam a Seam II, but I don't want to use a double sided fusible interface because I only want to make each side of the new blanket one layer, and I will bind it but most likely not use batting because he has to crumble in into a ball and use it as a pillow etc.

Any suggestions for me??

Thanks!

how I found kee kee on his bed this morning....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19085[/ATTACH]

the less favored side of Kee Kee, but the appliques are still falling apart
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19128[/ATTACH]

the favored side, used to contain "fishie" which he had to rub while he sucked his thumb. fishie was cut out about 2 years ago...still have it to use in the new blanket.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19137[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-19085.jpe   attachment-19128.jpe   attachment-19137.jpe  
Old 10-14-2008, 06:55 AM

:(
Old 10-14-2008, 07:00 AM

Maybe the green and blue could be used as an accent with the appliques? Three-dimensional seaweed or palm fronds? And you could keep the same color scheme with the new blanket. That was one well-loved blankie!
Old 10-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Banned

oh my..my youngest daughter had a BeeBee that was loved on just like that. Bee was a woven cotton blanket from babies R Us that ended up the size of a dishcloth. she still has it and keeps it i her treasure drawer. What fond memories:)
Old 10-15-2008, 04:04 AM
Banned

I would try to find fabric very similar, and just save the apliques. The fabric, as someone said on here, will probaly disingrate. I had a shirt that did the same thing, sort of....
So there's my advice about a topic I know nothing, aside, I'm going to attempt it with a shirt because your topic put me in mind of it ;)
Old 10-15-2008, 05:48 AM

Thanks everyone for your advice! I'm off to my retreat!
Old 10-15-2008, 06:44 AM

for flexability, an iron-on tricot interfacing should work. I'd go one step further and use a light web to bond it to a pre-shrunk muslin.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

Oh, my. That one was loved to pieces.

How about just making a new one that feels as nice and just put it where he can find it. MAYBE he'll eventually adopt it.

Would he consider letting you make the blanket into a quilt for a teddy bear or other stuffed toy?

My grandkids seem to like stuff they think they are finding better than stuff that I directly hand to them. Example - spirograph game - which I had no intention of letting them play with, but it was out and they found it - and they seemed to have fun with it. (Ages 5 and 7 and 7)
Old 10-16-2008, 08:08 PM

That is one LOVED KeeKee.....I wouldn't know what to do, except to try to make a new one very similar.....maybe he will think you did such a good job fixing his keekee he will think it is his old blankie....Good Luck, share when you get it fixed....

My grandson also calls his blankie a keekee and he has to have it. He actually has two, one for a spare

Brady with Mickey and his KeeKee on his 2nd Birthday......which was Today.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19968[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-19968.jpe  
Old 10-20-2008, 06:15 AM

I had to redo one and for yours I would use the green making it a little smaller as it looks in good shape.. Maybe the back could be blue, green and yellow blocks.