Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice needed about hiring a quilter...... >

Advice needed about hiring a quilter......

Advice needed about hiring a quilter......

Old 11-19-2011, 07:32 PM

Default Advice needed about hiring a quilter......

I am making a quilt for someone for Christmas. It's the first one I've ever had professionally quilted. My plan was to send it off to Missouri Star, however recently, a girl that I'm very close to reminded me that her mom does quilting and would do it for less money than MS. My question is.....how do you decide who to hire? Do you insist on seeing someone's work first? How badly could she mess it up? I'm a rookie, so I really don't know these things. Please give me advice. Has anyone had any experience with MS? Thank you!
Old 11-19-2011, 08:28 PM

Yes, absolutely you could ask to see some of her "samples". You would need to meet with her anyway to tell her how you wanted your quilt to be quilted. And to ask her prices, etc.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:44 PM

I hate to say this but, I wouldn't take a quilt to any quilter at this time of year unless I had the appointment booked months ago. Any quilter that's not totally booked probably isn't that good or is fairly new.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:47 PM

I agree - most quilters would be booked out till well after Christmas.
Having said that, if she is fairly new might still be OK but you MUST ask to see samples of her work and speak to people she has done work for.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:25 AM
Power Poster

I would definitely want to see her work... and lots of it, not just one piece.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:35 AM

Another thing you could do is go to some quilt shops in your area, most have a box of cards of quilters and will tell you what they know about them. Then make an appointment, ask to see their work, what they charge, if they charge extra for thread, batting etc. I asked what the cost would be for a quilt that isn't quilted real close together, I like it a little puffy rather than stiff like some.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I hate to say this but, I wouldn't take a quilt to any quilter at this time of year unless I had the appointment booked months ago. Any quilter that's not totally booked probably isn't that good or is fairly new.
My favorite quilter returns quilts in less than a week. She is busy most of the time, but she does not let them lie around--not sure how she does it, but I like her quilting, love her very reasonable prices, and am always impressed with how quickly I get my quilts back. I do not have to make an appointment. I think she must be the exception to the way most work????
Old 11-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by moreland View Post
My favorite quilter returns quilts in less than a week. She is busy most of the time, but she does not let them lie around--not sure how she does it, but I like her quilting, love her very reasonable prices, and am always impressed with how quickly I get my quilts back. I do not have to make an appointment. I think she must be the exception to the way most work????
She must do something different. I took two quilts to a longarm quilter that had a two week turn around and they were both done with the same pantograph and they were both crappy. It was the middle of the summer so I know she shouldn't have been rushed. The best longarmer in this area is booked for a full year out all the time.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:51 AM

As a longarm quilter myself, I would certainly expect someone that I had not quilted for before, ask to see some quilts that I had quilted and to ask for references. Don't be shy to check out the workmanship of your friend's mother. Afterall you have put a lot of time and money into your top so you do want nice quilting on it.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:16 PM

It's a great idea to look at their work, talk to quilt shops, and check out websites. If you find a LA quilter you like but she can't fit you in, as her who she would use to quilt her quilts if she didn't do LA quilting. Almost all of us get quilts through the mail, find someone you can work with. Don't make the assumption that we're all busy this time of year. Many have been scheduled for months, but if things are going well they just may be able to fit you in. Good luck!!