Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice needed Asian fabrics >

Advice needed Asian fabrics

Advice needed Asian fabrics

Old 09-23-2014, 06:25 PM

Default Advice needed Asian fabrics

Haven't been real active lately due to moving to Texas, but am finally back in a set up sewing room again. I found this gorgeous Asian fabric several years ago, then found the pattern Hip to (not) be Square by Heather Peterson and thought it was perfect for this fabric. So, I bought 8 coordinating fabrics for the background squares. Here's four main squares done with 6 of the background fabrics placed around them. Two of the fabrics I think are too busy. They are hanging beside the blocks in the second picture. Do I need to scale back the "power level" of the background fabrics? It feels very overwhelming and overpowering to me. It's supposed to be serene and beautiful.
Thanks for your input.
Attached Thumbnails asian-quilt1.jpg   asian-quilt2.jpg  
Old 09-23-2014, 06:26 PM

Sorry, the first picture posted sideways. The rectangles sit vertical, like in the second picture.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:52 PM

Hi Fay - love love love the fabrics and the pattern. I like the look of the existing swatches around the focus fabric, and I like the purple that's laying beside the block. The red fabric does look very overpowering - maybe use that for a narrow strip in the border?
Old 09-23-2014, 06:57 PM

JMHO I love everything in the top picture, but I agree the 2 fabrics you show in the 2nd picture take away the harmony you have going in pic #1. They don't add anything, seem to be distracting. They are all beautiful fabrics, just too much going on when you put them all together, and from what you said that's not what you're trying to accomplish.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:47 AM

I would love to see the second purple on this quilt, it looks like it's a bit more subdued than the purple you already have in the blocks and I think that will help pull it back and calm it down.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LindaM View Post
Hi Fay - love love love the fabrics and the pattern. I like the look of the existing swatches around the focus fabric, and I like the purple that's laying beside the block. The red fabric does look very overpowering - maybe use that for a narrow strip in the border?
these were my thoughts about it too. you could also use the red for the binding.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:55 AM

Totally agree. Love the purple and think it would add alot to your quilt. The red is too powerful when added to the red you already have but would be great as a narrow border or flange used with a bigger border. Beautiful quilt!
Old 09-24-2014, 03:58 AM

I agree that those two fabrics would overwhelm the others. Perhaps you could use them for the back.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

The purple in the upper right hand corner (second picture) - maybe - but the other background fabrics all seem to be "tonal" - and the purple one has several colors - so it "breaks the pattern" of the other background fabrics that you have used so I would find it a little bit discordant.

The red and yellow - bottom right second picture - definitely breaks the calmness of the other background fabrics.

I do like the effect in the top picture.

P.S. I would consider using the top right purple one as a border, though, because it picks up the black and gold of the center.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by meganc731 View Post
I would love to see the second purple on this quilt, it looks like it's a bit more subdued than the purple you already have in the blocks and I think that will help pull it back and calm it down.
I agree 100% with this. I think the darker more vibrant purple you have in the blocks seems to be too overpowering for your focus fabric. You need something more subdued. If this were mine, I might just consider eliminating purple all together or maybe trying your speckle. While there is some purple in the focus fabric I don't think it should be one of the colors you draw out as it is intended to recede in the background. What drew you to the Asian focus in the first place? With me it is the floral motifs and I think that would be the colors I want to bring out. Soft greens and yellows are calming and serene While your red with the gold is a beautiful fabric I don't think it is right for this quilt.