Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice needed-machine help >

Advice needed-machine help

Advice needed-machine help

Old 09-26-2010, 07:29 PM

I seem to be having trouble with my sewing machine when I try to FMQ. It looks like I am moving too quickly because I can see the loops on the backside of the quilt. I meander almost all of my quilts and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I do not adjust my bobbin tension, was told to never do that. It is due to be serviced, but I have 8 more quilts to finish before Christmas and swaps that I'm in. I have tried slowing down when quilting and also adjusting the speed of my machine and nothing seems to work well. I have also cleaned out the bobbin area, put in a new needle, oiled. Is there something I'm forgetting? It sews perfectly fine other than the FMQ. Thank you in advance for any advice you have.

Edit: Because of cost I have been using polyester batting on this quilt and the previous couple. I usually use warm and natural or a cotton blend. I find this polyester batting to be a real pain to work with.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:33 PM

I'm only a beginner at FMQ, but there are two things you can try. One is adjusting your top tension, very slowly at a time. The other thing is to change your needle to another size, depending of the weight of your top thread.

The other day, I tried a heavier top thread and turned up with those nasty bobbin loops, and changing the needle to a larger size stopped it. There are many places where you can read about which size to use with which thread. This is one of them:

http://quiltbug.com/Articles/threads.htm
Old 09-26-2010, 07:36 PM

Thank you Marquilt. I will give that a try.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:36 PM

Save yourself a lot of grief and take it in for service. It sounds like a tension problem and I'd rather pay a service charge than deal with that.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:25 PM

I have had this problem because I was using different weights of thread in top and bobbin. Just a thought.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:48 AM

Are you using the same thread for the top as well as the bobbin. I found that was my problem and since I use the same thread through out --no problem. Try on a piece of sandwiched block the same as your quilt and try out the tension until you have it right. Also put a new needle in--that helps.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:51 AM

It also happens a lot when the speed of the machine and the speed you move your quilt sandwich are not properly coordinated. The faster the needle goes, the faster you can move your quilt when FMQing. If the needle is moving more slowly, then move your quilt more slowly....proper coordination comes with practice.

Make up a quilt sandwich out of leftovers and try using different speeds to see how it works.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

if you are getting loops on the back your top tension is too loose, tighten it a little at a time do a practice line of stitching and continue to adjust until your tension is equal top and bottom. it is very easy to adjust your bobbin tension also, next time you take it in for service you should ask the tech to show you how if you are not sure how.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
if you are getting loops on the back your top tension is too loose, tighten it a little at a time do a practice line of stitching and continue to adjust until your tension is equal top and bottom. it is very easy to adjust your bobbin tension also, next time you take it in for service you should ask the tech to show you how if you are not sure how.
Great advice, also, if you are doing a lot of twists and turns, it is hard for the tension to remain correct. I have a mid arm and if I do a lot of loops even with a stitch regulator (especially if I do them quickly) I can get some railroading on the back of the quilt.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 AM

Also, make sure your bobbin is feeding right. I was FM yesterday, ran out of bobbin, replaced it, started stitching, said what is this?, stitching was all messed up and loopy, took the bobbin out and I had put it in wrong, put it in right, stitches just fine now.