Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice needed on mini bow tucks bag >

Advice needed on mini bow tucks bag

Advice needed on mini bow tucks bag

Old 08-03-2020, 01:31 PM

Question Advice needed on mini bow tucks bag

I've made a few bow tucks bags a few years ago. I'm needing to make a new one. The difference for this one is I have Annie’s Soft and Stable to use for the batting instead of the fusible product I used in the past. This is my first time using soft and stable. For those of you that have used it for making bags, would you recommend quilting the bag panels or just sewing it together? The other bags are still in very good shape and I’d like this one to be able to also survive and look nice for as long as possible.
If I decide to quilt the panels would you recommend cutting oversize, quilting, and then trimming down to size. Or just cut it out following the cutting directions?
Thanks for any guidance you can give me.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:07 PM

I made the back pack pattern.

I quilted the sandwich first and then cut out the individual pattern pieces. Be sure to mark the top direction of the pieces so you can cut the pattern pieces all going in the correct position. This is important if you have directional fabrics. Not so important on other fabric types.

Read the pattern over a couple of times so you understand the steps. Do each step in order.

Do you need bias binding? I didn't like all the little pieces from the 18 inch square so I just cut some long bias strips.

Watch the tutorials on the web site even if this isn't one of their patterns. Lots of helpful tips on binding, zippers, and straps.

Give a shout if you get stuck along the way on the bag.

PS: I used a stippling design done on the embroidery machine for quilting.