Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
advice on Pfaff Expression 4.2 please >

advice on Pfaff Expression 4.2 please

advice on Pfaff Expression 4.2 please

Old 04-11-2014, 11:09 AM
saf

Default advice on Pfaff Expression 4.2 please

Hi every one
I haven't been able to sew for some time but am now back to the machine. DH has very generously offered to buy me a new machine with a bigger throat space to save my sore shoulders and neck. I am thinking of the Pfaff Expression 4.2. It is a little above the price I had budgeted for but DH says to go for it, so I would be grateful for any advice or opinions that you would care to share before I splash out.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:46 PM

I would search reviews on the http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingMachine/ just make sure its not one of their models with lots of problems. Can't remember which ones had the problems and which ones didn't, but that site has reviews on almost any machine you can think of on all the brands. Test drive at your dealers as well thoroughly before you pick one so you know if its really a good fit for you
Old 04-11-2014, 06:23 PM

If your shoulders and neck give you problems try changing the angle of your machine so you have more visibility. My wife uses the Tilt'able http://www.amazon.com/Ergonomic-Sewi.../dp/B001817TUO and I use a homemade one that is much less expensive. They made a huge difference in fatigue when we started using them. (BTW, you should still get the machine).
Old 04-12-2014, 04:16 AM

I have a Pfaff 4.2 and I love it. Stitch quality is excellent, it will stitch thru multiple layers with no problem. FMQ is a joy.
I cannot fault this machine. If you are a dressmaker as well it sews beautiful buttonholes. A lovely machine.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:52 AM

I have a simple Essential Ambition Pfaff machine and love it. I especially love the IDT foot so both layers of material feeds evenly. I actually have 2 of these machines. One to stay set up in my sewing room and one to stay packed for traveling/sewing retreats/classes.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:15 AM

I am going to keep an eye on this thread as I am saving to buy a pfaff 4.2 .
Old 04-12-2014, 05:22 AM

Yes I would definitely do research. I had a 2170 that have a low number of hours on it when the motherboard went out. Even tho local dealer was certified mechanic, he couldn't fix it so we shipped it to Pfaff to be fixed. Cost me $750 to get it running! So I'm not a fan--won't ever buy another! Now let me know if you want to talk Bernina---I absolutely LOVE mine!
Old 04-12-2014, 06:07 AM

I haven't looked at the 4.2, but I have had the Pfaff Expression 2.0 for a few years now and I absolutely love it. I just finished quilting (SID) an oversized king quilt on it. I sew an average 6-8 hours a day on this machine and it has been a real dream. That said, I'm not sure it would solve your neck and shoulder problems. Your machine may be too high or too low for you; you may need to try a different chair. I had back/neck/shoulder problems until I recessed my machine into the table and bought an adjustable office chair. Don't know what your current set up is, but changing position would be a less costly solution. As much as I love my QE2 I would love to have even more throat space for FMQ. I won't let go of my Pfaff, but I'm considering something like a Bailey (in the price range you are looking at) with a 15" throat for quilting only.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:07 AM

I bought a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2 last August and I love it - upgraded from the Pfaff 7570. Besides the dual feed, the feature I like the most is that when you mash the foot pedal, the pressure foot goes down automatically - you do not have to lower it yourself (but there is a button to raise and lower it if you want to do it manually).
There is a great youtube video, over an hour, from a shop in California that will give you a great demo on this machine, showing all the great features. Check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNHBEUtkUkI
Old 04-13-2014, 07:28 AM

Our local dealer is giving 60-months interest free financing on the Pfaff QE2 - I've been saving up and now may take the leap!