Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please/ hexie thread????? >

Advice please/ hexie thread?????

Advice please/ hexie thread?????

Old 03-31-2015, 05:25 PM

Default Advice please/ hexie thread?????

First this is not the first hexie GFG I have done....this is the second. I did the other one using freezer paper as the paper and regular thread for basting and then whip stitching.......no problems.....the hexies were a bit larger- 1 1/2". So now three yrs later I decided to join the " craze" and do another-have acquired a large supply of misc. 2. 1/2" squares. This time lots of tutes, suppliers of precut hexies, so I thought easy peasy. This time I glue basted using the sewline pen, I like that idea, bought the precut hexies in 1", milliners needles #11, the bohin needle threader and Mettlers silk like thread, thread heaven conditioner----all recommended.....and began. I have made about twenty rosettes and have begun adding the path and connecting......but I am not enjoying this one at all. I have changed the thread several times......tried silamide type A, hand quilting thread, now using just plain old regular sewing thread! And the same problem.....I am cutting the lengths of thread at about 18" and about half way thru that length, the thread begins to shred...., so I have to knot off and lose that tail of thread and cut another.....first I thought that threader is causing the shredding with that needle like thing pushing the thread thru the eye..so did the threading without...no difference! So I come here for some help......is this happening to others. Believe me, this was not the case with my first one...if it had been I would have remembered and not done another......I must be doing something that I can correct so I can continue this saga! Thanks for any insight/ hints...........
Old 03-31-2015, 05:46 PM

I tend to use Essentials by Connecting Threads (50wt) which is 100% cotton. I've not had any issues with that. I have used others if the color match was better, but 95% of my thread is Essential.

However, I have found an issue with the actual needle and the thread breaking at the top of the needle. So it could be the need.

I do not glue baste, but thread baste only in the corners for 1" hexies. So I have to wonder if your needle/thread is going through where there glue is?

Just my thoughts....I am on my third EPP quilt (one GFG, one modified Lucy Boston elongated hexies and now another hexie one)
Old 03-31-2015, 06:58 PM

Ok for hand piecing, I found silk too expensive, so I use Bottom Line. It's a very fine thread, sinks right into the fabric like silk does, and comes on bobbins in assorted colors. It's very easy and affordable to get all the colors you want for your project. I also found that using Thread Heaven made it more difficult to sew with BL thread. I got better results without it.

Is your thread shredding at the eye? Or somewhere else?

If it's shredding at the eye, I think maybe it's moving too much through the eye and causing wear and tear on the thread. Here's a video that shows you how to secure the thread on the needle so it won't shred at the eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L84L0HqOn50
Old 03-31-2015, 07:32 PM

This may sound strange, but, I have been told that you should thread your needle THEN cut the length from the spool. Don't know exactly why, but maybe something to do with the twist of the thread? I notice some sewing machines actually indicate the direction the thread should come off the spool when you are threading it. Something simple to try. Good luck. Ann
Old 04-01-2015, 12:29 AM

I have pretty much the same issue with my current hexie project and I have my suspicions that its the papers causing the shredding as the thread travels against it. I made my own 1 inch papers using card and the fiskars hexie punch and I think it might be the thickness of the card that has made it worse on this project. Maybe try cutting out a few freezer paper templates and see if the thread behaves the same way with the freezer paper? I would try it myself but all my hexies are already basted!
Old 04-01-2015, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

I use whatever thread I have. one reason the thread maybe breaking is it is going thru the material ata a closer rate than regular intervals. I take about 18-20 stitches on my 3/4" sides. I use a shorter length of thread, about 12-15". I found out longer was breaking or fraying. I forget or can't find my wax so I don't wax the thread. I use whatever regular sewing thread I have. I baste with cheaper serger threads on about a 18-24" length. Since I shortened my length of thread,i don't seem to have problems. good luck. please show us your work in progress.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

I use silk thread to join hexies. It is strong, thin, and doesn't cause me any problems. YLI or Superior brand.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

I always use Mettler silk wrapped thread in my Bernina but not for sewing hexes. I use the thread for hand quilting and have little problem with it showing. I just hate the thread getting tangled. This is what I was taught in class. I do have "Thread Heaven" but find hand quilting thread to prevent most knots as sewing. You just have to try different suggestions and see what works best for you. Good Luck.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:37 AM

Definitely try another needle. I had this problem with a brand new needle but it kept shredding the thread. The last solution I tried was to change the needle and it worked. Now even if it is a new needle and I am sewing along and the thread (assuming you are using good thread) starts behaving strangely, the needle gets tossed. Has saved countless hours of frustration, etc.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sisty88 View Post
I have pretty much the same issue with my current hexie project and I have my suspicions that its the papers causing the shredding as the thread travels against it. I made my own 1 inch papers using card and the fiskars hexie punch and I think it might be the thickness of the card that has made it worse on this project. Maybe try cutting out a few freezer paper templates and see if the thread behaves the same way with the freezer paper? I would try it myself but all my hexies are already basted!
...now that's a good idea...I did use the fiskar punch and cardstock for these....and my first one I used freezer paper ironed on....that might well be the prob. Thread may be rubbing against that cardstock as I stitch......The glue is not applied on the edge..it's up a bit so I am not sewing thru it..and the shredding is not at crease in eye of needle, but rather down about 1/2. Can I buy bottom line at LQS or do I have to go online...

I shall experiment....new thread, new hexie papers.