Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Advice please - One way stretch fabric

Advice please - One way stretch fabric

A non-sewist friend found fabric for me while she was traveling. I love the pattern, the cloth is a nice weight and feel. However, I've discovered it stretches in one direction, pretty significantly.

Is there any way I can still use it in a quilt? If not, do you folks have any suggestions? I have one yard. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I would use a featherweight fusible interfacing (not an applique fusible).
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Thanks. So I guess this interfacing will stop the stretching? I had no idea this existed, I appreciate your making me aware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    I would use a featherweight fusible interfacing (not an applique fusible).
    Same thing I used to back t-shirts when making them into quilts.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
    Thanks. So I guess this interfacing will stop the stretching? I had no idea this existed, I appreciate your making me aware of it.
    Interfacing is used extensively in apparel, craft and home dec projects. There are approximately 7,934 different types, some sew in, some fusible, different materials (Horse hair!) and weights, so you need to be careful in your purchase.
    The featherweight weight will not change the hand of your quilting cotton, while the fusible will keep it in place. You would use it on your entire yard, then cut your pieces. Interfacing is narrow, so you would probably need 2 yards. Here's the info on the Pellon brand:
    http://www.pellonprojects.com/produc...atherweight-2/
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I use a lightweight knit fusible interfacing on my tee shirts. The interfacing stretches one way. I iron it on with the stretch in the opposite direction to the stretch of the shirt, or fabric. It's lightweight, doesn't add much to the stiffness of the fabric and there's NO stretching either way. Good luck!! Ann

I have not used this product, but it was recommended by a recent speaker at my quilt guild: Terial Magic. It is a spray on stabilizer. You spray it on, air dry and iron. It will be fairly stiff., eliminating problems with stretchiness. When you are done, you can leave it in or wash the item to remove the stabilizer.

Can anyone suggest another use for this one way stretch fabric, besides a quilt? I'm thinking it would make a fine purse or tote bag. Correct? Any other ideas? Is there some type of item that this fabric would be perfect for?

Thanks!!

If you want to make a purse or a tote bag, you will still need to use the stabilizer. Once you use a stabilizer you will see it isn't difficult.
    June

Blog Entries
    Probably not enough for a pair of pants - but maybe a pair of shorts or simple top.

Quote Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
    Can anyone suggest another use for this one way stretch fabric, besides a quilt? I'm thinking it would make a fine purse or tote bag. Correct? Any other ideas? Is there some type of item that this fabric would be perfect for?

Thanks!!
    Nikki in MO